Degenerative Diseases Community
Does anyone get better???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Does anyone get better???

Is there anyone who gets better after spinal fusion? I guess if you felt better you would be trolling for answers on these forums, "why the hell is my back still killing me after..." I guess I can say a pretty routine surgery by now.
How about this, does anyone know anybody else who got better from DDD and spinal fusion? For me the doctor just screwed in the pedicles right where the vertebrae were. Lopsided and on top of each other. He didn't take out the old disc, or raise it to it's proper height or nothing! And we're supposed to trust these doctors, ppshhh!! They lie right to your faces, thinking you don't know any better..ahh humm-Kaiser. My PCP said none of my patients seem to get better after surgery. I said yeah... because your screwing us over. Who would leave in a stage 3 degenerated disc and screw in a vertebrae crooked and on top L5?? I'm so upset :(
Wish I could add something positive to your comments but I have gone through so many doctors myself and all they would tell me is there was a chance for paralysis. Years went by before I found a doctor who operated on my back/spine for DDD/DJD and eventually put a metal brace in my back only to be removed 5 years later due to nerve impingement. He was an orthopedic surgeon but he did a good job on my back without complications.
I have worked in the medical field for years and know doctors and how they talk. This doctor did the spinal fusion on my neck by replacing the bone with a cadaver bone and two weeks later did my back. No complications from either operation and I am still thankful for what he did because NO OTHER DOCTOR would take the chance to operate on me.
It took a lot of research to find this doctor but it was worth it for me.
I have seen your pictures and wish I had an answer. Don't get too discouraged but keep up the research and education you have learned about your condition. It better educates the doctors when they don't know what they are doing. If you have doubt about the doctors diagnosis, step out and move on. There IS someone competent and capable out there that can help, so keep up the research and education.
I recently had a Botox injection to the piriformis muscle that no one would treat and I am walking again for the first time in YEARS but it took a lot of focus to get the doctors to treat. (without drugs)
Stay strong and focused because there is light at the end of the tunnel but going through it, is a long road.
Thanks MadMad you sound pretty lucid to me though, I don't mean to ruin your rep. but thanks again you've been really helpful. I thought I would get more posts but I guess not many people get better?
I just lost faith in most doctors, why would someone screw in my back crooked and with the left side of the vertebrae completely on top of one another, it was shocking to me. Not to mention not taking out the collapsed disc. He just set me up for failure right from the get go. 4 comp docs and one radiologist said there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. And they kept me working but I couldn't, I used over 100hrs of my sick time because they thought i was playing games or something.
I don't know if I should try and get it fixed or just leave it, any suggestions?
Sorry to hear of your problems. Not sure how to answer this. Yes, doctors CAN make mistakes. I know my second surgery failed but my surgeon went in right away to fix the problem. First get a written statement of what procedure was done and for what reason. Get your hospital records. I know I have with each surgery. Then take it to an outside doctor for a second opinion. Depending on how much pain you are in.
I know losing time from work was unjustified but you could lose more time if the issue is not corrected, if needed. Don't let this scare you. Get proactive instead of De-active. Keep an eye on your condition.
Yes, it can be discouraging when doctors make mistakes but get your condition documented first and fix it if need be. Then you can decide what steps to take from there.
Unfortunately, it is called "The Practice of Medicine" and this is the doctors only defense. (if any) Good luck and stay strong, you need to stay focused in order to move forward.
you will never know how much I understand exactly what you are saying.  I had ACDF with titanium plate in March.  It is now September and I am suppose to be better and over it.  Suppose to be due to degenerative disk disease.  I am thinking of quitting my job and losing everything I ever worked for because I cannot do my regular job and be the person I used to be.  I'm sick, I'm tired, and I am sick and tired of the surgeon telling me that nothing is wrong.  If nothing is wrong, why do I feel the way I do.  Why do I come home everyday with ice packs waiting and feel that sleep is my only friend.  If I have to live the rest of my life like this, I'd rather not.  There's not a thing I can do about it and nobody listens to me.  I have been in physical therapy for the last 7 1/2 weeks which seems to be making things worse instead of better.  I have more pain now then when I started the therapy.  I go in Sept. to see how the fusion is going with an xray from the surgeon's office.  He said in June it looked better than he anticipated, which made me feel pretty good at the time, but saying it doesn't make it so.  I mean, I thought wow, if it is looking that good, I guess in a few months, I will be okay.  NOT.