Degenerative Diseases Community
Gliosis of the Brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Gliosis of the Brain

I was recently told by MRI results that I have gliosis of the right parietal lobe white matter.  Also, a prominent perivascular space.  I have been suffering for a little over 2 years with horrible head pain in this same location. My neuro is not telling me what gliosis is, nor is he helping me get back on my feet.  I have since seen 2 other neurologists that don't do anything about it either. If fact they told me there is nothing they could do for gliosis, so they ignore my pleading for help and any pain treatment because they said "the brain has no pain", but I do.  I have a horrific burning and pressure sensation in the area of my head.  With it tingling sometimes, and the tingling actually makes me want to pass out.  I need to know exactly what does gliosis do, cause, or is from?? Is there any kind of treatment or another specialist to see? What test check for brain cancer if it isn't the tumor type? Thank you.
Glial cells are not neurones.  They are the 'glue' that holds the brain
together.  Damage to glial cells may come from head injury, trauma, or
infarction. This should not much affect your cognitive functioning and your doctors are right, it will not cause pain.  The damage detected in MRI would not be the cause of your pain and unrelated.  Suggest you see a Sacral-Cranial Osteopath for relief of your symptoms which more likely related to peripheral nerve causation or cranial malaligment.
Gliosis of the Brain:  My recent MRI stated that I have Gliosis, and, blockage of the fronal sagittal sinus!  Can you explain this to me?  I had a craniotomy done on June 14, 2006 to remove a large being Meninogoma of the front right parietal area of the brain!  Thank You, Elaine C. Boylan
I also had a craniotomy for a benign meningioma in right frontal lobe.  My tumor is attached to the sagittal sinus and could only be partially resected.  I first had gamma knife surgery which broke the blood brain barrier.  I now have gliosis on LEFT (other) side of brain and a couple of "flow voids".  Doctors are not explaining either of these or doing anything about them.  I have lower spine pain and now, trouble walking, (frozen gait syndrome).   Do you know of treatments for gliosis?  I read it can lead to Alzheimers and Multiple Sclerosis - eek!  Wondering what can I do, if anything, to prevent it from getting worse?  Am taking salmon oil, cucurmin, vit D3, etc.
The glia is the "glue of the brain" as stated above (consisting of astrocytes, microglia and oligodendrocytes), however gliosis is the brains form of a scar. Astrocytes have primarily structural and nutritional roles.  They are more resilient and are a prominent component in the reaction to injury.  Through proliferation and hypertrophy they create the brain's analogy of a scar (gliosis).  Gliosis may result from a variety of insults to the CNS.  Rosenthal fibres are intracytoplasmic accumulations of B crystalline occurring in chronic gliosis, some tumours (pilocytic) and some diseases (Alexander's).  Type II astrocytes proliferate in response to high levels of ammonium (liver disease, or urea cycle disorders).
My brother had a neuro surgery in July 2007 and was operatedon left sided extradural hematoma and has a left temporoparietal craniotomy. Few days back, while doing a back exercise he fainted and since then he has severe pain in his head, his appetite has reduced to half and has pain while chewing food. His CT scan report reveals left parietal gliosis. His other brain activities are normal. Please suggest if it is anything serious or would glial cells keep reproducing or growing with time? Will gliosis affect his normal brain activity over time?

altz_dce
Recently I had MRI, AND THE REASULT CAME AS "RIGHT PREVENRICULAR WHITE MATTER PROBABLY REPRESENTING A FOCUS OF GLIOSIS ". COULD YOU EXPLAIN, WHAT "CLIOSIS" MEAN?
  iRENA
Six months ago I had a craniotomy and my surgeon clipped 2 aneuryms; while the surgery was successful. I have since then what I called a permanent headache.
Today, my MRI shows left frontal craniotomy w dural enhancement and cystic changes which may represent arachnoid cyst or arachnoid granulations. Increased T2 signal in the adjacent parenchyma likely represents gliosis,
Do I need another brain surgery?
My daughter recently hand an MRI of the brain which resulted in the finding of Gloss of the brain.  She had an MRI done because her little head grew 1/2 inch in just over 3 weeks.  Could Gliosis be a cause of why her head grew that much in such a short amount of time?  Also could it also be a reason of why she is only 15 months and she isn't really crawling or walking yet?
does exposure to aluminium cause gliosis. if yes, how? and if no, why