Degenerative Diseases Community
Help me understand MRI Results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help me understand MRI Results

Can anyone interpret these results and tell me what all this means?  I am in a lot of pain, severe pain often and my doctor is telling me that I have a lot of arthritis.  I want the neck injections because I want to try something else, pills only help so much and then they wear off.  I am off work right now, it's terrible trying to sleep I wake up in severe pain with my arms aching and tingling.  I actually think about surgery because it hurts so bad, is that a good idea?
Most important I want to know what all this means.  I don't see the word "severe" anywhere but it sure feels like a severe problem.
I would love to know what each problems means in laymen's terms if possible.

IMPRESSION:
1. Cervical degenerative disease most pronounced at C5 - C6 and C6-C7 with moderate reversal of the normal cervical lordosis.  Posterior disc/osteophyte complex formation and trace degenerative retrolisthesis results in mild thecal sac stenosis at C6-C7 and there is also bilateral uncinate hypertrophy with mild bilateral foraminal stenosis.

2. Mild thecal sac stenosis at C5-C6 and left greater than right uncinate yypertrophy with moderate left and mild right foraminal stenosis with some mass effect on the left greater than right exiting C6 nerve roots.

3. Additional cervical degenerative changes as outlined.

4. The spinal cord demonstrates normal caliber and signal.

Findings:  
There is moderate reversal of the normal cervical lordosis.  There is a trace approximately 2 mm degenerative retrolisthesis of C6-C7 but the remainder vertebrae demonstrate normal sagittal alignment.  There vertebral end plate degenerative irregularities at C5-C6 and C6-C7.  There is mild loss of disc-space height at these levels but the remainder of the vertebral heights and contours are reasonably well maintained.

There are bone marrow degenerative signal changes at C5-C6 and C6-C7, but the remainder of the bone marraw signal intensity is within normal limits.

The craniocervical junction and C1 and C2 are unremarkable.

C2-C3: No significant thecal sac stenosis or foraminal stenosis.

C3-C4: Tiny posterior midline disc protrusion which measures approximately 2mm AP x 2mm trans with minimal ventral thecal sac effacement but no significant associated thecal sac stenosis or foraminal stenosis.

C5-C6:  Broad-based posterior disc/osteophyte complex formation with effacement of the ventral subarachnoid space and mild flattening of the ventral spinal cord and with mild thecal sac stenosis.  There is left greater than right uncinate hypertrophy and facet degenerative disease with moderate left and right foraminal stenosis.  There is some mass effect on the left greater than right C6 nerve roots.

C6-C7: Broad based posterior disc/osteophyte complex formation with effacement of the ventral subarachnoid space and mild flattening of the ventral spinal cord and with mild thecal sac stenosis.  There is bilateral uncinate hypertrophy and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis.

C7-T1 No significant thecal sac stenosis or foraminal stenosis.