Degenerative Diseases Community
LIVING WITH CONSTANT PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

LIVING WITH CONSTANT PAIN

In 2005 I had a 3 level lumbar/sacral spinal fusion.  Prior to my fusion I suffered with severe back pain, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and spondylothesis. I used a multitude of pain meds prior to surgery I began with Vicodin and slowly progressed to Oxycontin with a Fentanyl patch for back up pain and Flexeral. After the surgery I tapered of the heavy hitters and now 3 years later I am down to 50mg Ultram twice daily.
This disease has crushed me emotionaly more than physicaly and I have good days and bad days mostly bad. The pain is depressing and has limited me and placed me into a hopeless situation.  When I ask for more pain meds my doctors treat me as though I am some kind of junkie so I have just given up and have become a prisoner of this disease. It is so embarassing to have doctors question me as though I am making this all up. This is truly hopeless
Any suggestions  
Hi Roxanne, I am sorry you are suffering.  I have spinal stenosis, arthritis and degenerative discs in my neck from C2-C7 and was advised to have surgery but I have not done it because so many people have said don't do it.  I don't know if your surgery was considered successful, but obviously you are still in pain.  Can you go back to the surgeon and tell him that you're not better?  Can you look a pain management place that will take you seriously?

I have a lot of medical problems and arthritis pain, carpal tunnel, tendonitis problems and I'm considering trying pain management.  I have done the physical therapy so many times, and it doesn't help.  I know how depressing it is to be in pain and people do not understand.  Especially, doctors, who are supposed to help, but they really do not care and act like you're crazy.  I have had many doctors like this.  I leave and keep looking for another one.  I won't put up with that treatment, and you shouldn't either.  
Hi Roxanne, I also can relate to you, I an on several types of pain medication for DDD, sick of pain hoping for a cure but in my heart of hearts I know that I must learn to live with this affliction. I as you have good and bad days mostly bad days, some times the pain gets so bad that I think I am going mad. I have been to theatre twice with my back, was attending a pain clinic the 2nd time I got 5 hours of numbness not pain relief,  the Doctor wrote a letter to my Doctor saying that I told him that I said I had very little pain so I gave up for now, I felt that it was a waste of time but when the pain gets so bad I would try anything I am thinking of you
Hi Roxanne, I feel your pain believe me. I've had 2 surgeries on my neck for degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis. My second surgery is 2 years old now and I'm still in the same amount of pain as I was from the start. I'm in my 40's and very depressed and lost employment due to my disabling situation. Forget the pain clinics. It's like my surgeon told me: "If you are still in pain at this point, they can't help you very much". Kudos doc, they treat you like drug addicts. I hope you get better.
Hello, i am also in my early 40's and suffer with chronic pain as well, was told I had like 6 herniated discs in my neck, 3 in my lower back, with apparent pinching on the nerves in the formanal canal?, tear at T11, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, some arthritis, and constant pain into both feet and toes, feels like radiating pain like a tens unit on your feet, or the cold from the snow that doesnt go away...Cold weather makes it worse, my feet and arms have problems getting warm in certain areas, its quite strange and very painful...They say I may have secondary RSD Pain Syndrome now, its like oh great I so over did it losing both of my parents, did alot of HEAVY lifting, etc. etc. for 2 months straight, no stopping...well now Im paying for it in the worse way!!, Morphine doesnt even help much...but better than nothing...Pain Mgmt. is basically the same senerio as you all are explaining they look at u like ur faking the ****...I dont think so.!!! So what should I do, physical therapy also did NOT work, hurt worse...I cant even walk the grocery store now, I cant sit long, I cant stand, and sometimes i get up out of bed and my knees buckle like Im gonna fall????, is it from the back>I dunno, all new to me
Discuss with your physician the use of adjuvant analgesic therapy using neurontin and elavil.  Neurontin is an antiseisure medication and elavil is an antidepressant....These drugs were developed for other purposes but have been found to be effective for pain.  The doses of the antidepressants required for pain relief are lower than the amount that is needed for depression.  The combination of these drugs work well for chronic pain.    If your physician disagrees, go to a physician that specializes in pain management.    Chronic pain can be very discouraging.  I have 2 fused disk in my neck as well as two lower disks that are herniated so I know how discouraging and life changing that chronic pain can be.    Not all physicians will dismiss your pain.     I have good days, bad days and futon my cat days and days that I dont want to get out of bed, but I still get up  and put one foot in front of the other.  Don't give up.