Degenerative Diseases Community
Lower back problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Lower back problems

I have been told by many people that I have DDD between L3 and L4 or L4 and L5, I can't remember which two. I had x-rays taken by a Dr at a clinic due to an injury at work. He told me that I had the spine of a 90 year old due to DDD. I later seen a chiropractor who told me the same thing. And then lastly I was sent to a pain clinic for my back where that Dr told me the same thing. Later I was sent to a specialist who did an MRI on my back. He told me that there was nothing wrong just normal wear and tear. Who do I believe? I never got to see my MRI nor was it really explained to me. He just came in the room said your fine and left. But all of my X-Rays plainly showed the lack of space between my bones.
I would try to see another specialist. See if you can get a referral from one of the other dr that say you have DDD and tell them what the specialist told you. You can also ask for a copy of your mri results that way if you go to the new specialist you will already have them. Did you see a neurologist or a orthopedic specialist ? I have found that some doctors just don't want to deal with certain types of patients so they say that nothing is wrong. Best of luck to you, Sissie
Please get a second opinion and I would say an orthopedic surgeon. I have DDD/DJD and have been to many a doctor. Because some doctors do not know how to treat this disease they cannot recommend anything. Bring all your medical records. It will be worth it when you can get someone to listen. I have had 5 operations (all successful) metal put into my back and then taken out 5 years later due to nerve impingement and I still see my orthopedic surgeon and pain management team. I trust them but I had to do a lot of research to find them. I found a doctor who specializes in my condition and he has helped along with the pain management team. The pain management team is NOT about drugs. The do procedures in the office to help with pain. I have had nerve blocks which helped but remember, the nerves grow back after a long period of time but the procedures were helpful for me.
Some doctors don't have enough knowledge about how to treat this condition or just don't care enough. That is a callous way of treating some one but the VA is famous for that. I cannot get treatment from the VA for my condition because they don't have an educated team of surgeons or doctors that want to treat me. The VA is recommending a pain pump for me but that is not the answer for me. I know I will possibly need more surgery or at least more procedures like another nerve block, cortisone shots or more but they have helped me in the past and I trust the team. Get these doctors to also talk to one another. I had to force my team to talk to one another to come up with a procedure that I needed and finally they agreed when they both talked. Take control of your medical condition and learn all you can and then tell the doctors what you know about your condition and get them to listen. If they don't move on to another doctor, they are out there.