Degenerative Diseases Community
Lumbar Facet Nerve block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Lumbar Facet Nerve block

I was dx with Degenerative disc disease in 2003 L5-S1. I have had 2 epidural injection and in April/2007 had surgery for a ruptured disc L4/L3. Was told by my Neurosurgeon L5/S1 is pretty much bone on bone. My pain management Doctor has recommended Lumbar Facet Nerve Block. Has anyone had these? From my understanding it consisits of a series of injections. 1st 2 are diagnostic inj to make sure they are in the correct spot on the nerve. the rest of the inj consists of sending some sort of frequencey to disrupt the current in the nerve to the brain that registers pain. Has anyone had any relief from this?
Yes, I've had the lumbar Facet Nerve Block. Also called a Facet Rizotomy.  It's an out patient, about 20 minute procedure.  I was sedated a little bit and had 3 injections done.  It's done with a floroscopic x ray machine, to determine the exact location. Then the needle is inserted, finds the nerve that is projecting pain, and it is burned so it can't tell the brain.....Pain...!!.  Did not feel a thing having this.  You need someone to drive you home or they won't do it.  I went home and slept a little and just took it easy for the rest of the day.   Best thing I could have had done.  It can last up to 2 years.  I have no pain in the lumbar anymore.  I would definately have this done...................
Thanks for the info.... I have had the 1st 2 injection already, which were the diagnistic injections. I go back to the Dr. next week to schedule the next one.  Pain level varies day to day... Cant tell much of a difference at the moment but keeping fingers crossed... If this doesnt work Dr. told me next step would be the pain pump. I really dont want to go that route!!!!  I will keep yall posted..