Degenerative Diseases Community
Neuro-Stimulator

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Neuro-Stimulator

I have degenerative disc disease and problems mainly in my neck and low back. I am considering having a neuro-stimulator implanted in my back to block the pain signal in my neck where the pain is worse. Has anyone had any experience with a neuro-stimulator implanted in the back? I am supposed to have a test in January where probes will be put near my spine; the wires will come out of my back for the test and if the stimulator doesn't help, then that's the end of that possiblity. If the test is successful in controlling my pain they will remove everything and wait three to four weeks until I'm completely healed; then they will implant the stimulator and wires and probes permanently. According to my pain doc the success rate is greater than 80%. I would sure love to hear from people who have had experience with the device. thanks
If it works, I would like to know because I have the exact same problems.  My low back and butt area hurt constantly.  I can hardly walk some days.
Cindee, if you check out the "Pain Management" forum a few people who have had experience with the neuro-stimulator have posted answers to my question on that forum. My take on their answers is that it does work, but has issues. It seems that it works to block some pain at first, but over time as scar tissue builds around the electrobes/probes it becomes less effective. Still, I think everyone who tried it said they'd do it again. I will let you know how my experience goes. I hope to have the test by the end of January or first of February. Then, if the test is successful, I have to wait three to four weeks for everything to heal before they will implant the device permanently. I'll let you know. Good luck with your pain - I'm sorry that you have pain.
I did the neuro stimulator trial, and it was successful.  However, my surgeon required that I undergo a discogram that uncovered much more degeneration than he liked.  So, I am currently 2 weeks post-op from an anterior/posterior interbody spinal fusion with instrumentation.  

I do suggest you exhaust all possibilities before you undergo the stimulator.  It is a good idea to do the trial, it's not very painful, and if it works, then you have an idea as to what life is without pain.

I'm still trying to figure out if the fusion worked for me, my trusty surgeon said it was textbook but only time will tell.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks, Jaye - I had not heard of a "discogram" so I "googled" it; wow, that sounds painful! I have had nerve conductivity test (shocks and needles) that were not a lot of fun. They only showed that my pain is from multiple sources and thus the reason my doctor does not want to do surgery and I am headed down the neuro-stimulator path.
I sure hope your surgery brings you relief. I will let you know how my test goes. I hope they will schedule it in January.

Take care,
Jerry
I had one stimulator implanted in 2003 and another in 2005,  The summar of '07 we went on vacation to Missouri and I noticed the one to my low back, legs and feet was not working.  It had to be taken out and another put in.  Now I have one whose battery should last about 6 to 9 years, if not on all the time,  The other they talked me into and I HATE has to be recharged by wearing a belt with the charager on the belt, - hate it.......
thanks - I don't think I would like a rechargeable, either. I'll try to steer them away from that type.
email ***@**** i a stimulator implanted email me for good news hehhe it works let me tell you more ,i am decent 70 yr male jim is my name
i am thinking about getting the neuro stimulator myself. i had a bad injury and i have had pain for about 4 years constantly down my legs and lower back. as you all know it is getting to the point ill try anything for relief. i don't want to stay on pain pills forever. I am taking 60mg of morphine a day and that just takes the edge off. good luck to you all and let me know if it works for you
Brian, I wish you luck and hope the stimulator helps you as much as it is helping me. I am still getting good results from it; but I still take pain meds for other pain. I have a lot going on, but the scs is doing its job and helps the areas it targets a lot. Good luck.
I have a best friend who had the Neurospinal Stimulator implanted into her and she didn't get the results as most people I have read about got. Now that she has the devise in, she can't find a doctor to take it out. The doctor who put it in practices in Hattiesburg, MS. She had it put in April 2, 2009 and she does not turn it on because she does not feel like it has helped her. She is now having what she describes as shocking feelings. Like she is being shocked by something. Her daughter and I feel like it is because of the unit. The only problem now is that she can't find a doctor who will remove it. The doctor who put it in will not take it out. If anyone can help us with this matter contact me at ***@****. We want to find a doctor to take it out and we live in South Mississippi.