Degenerative Diseases Community
Reading a MRI Report and Understand What it really means.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

I had a MRI on  June 8th -2009  on my Lumbar spine without Contrast.And the Report says as follows.
Technique Sagittal and Axial T1 and T2-weighted scans of the Lumbar spine were obtained and compared to a previous study performed on 8-6-2001.
Findings: There are Degenerative disc changes most prominent at L2-L3 and L4-5 Characterized mainly by varying degrees of Loss of Disc space signal on the T2 weighted scans.Disc space height and signal are relatively well maintained at L5-S1.No new Marrow signal abnormality is seen at any level.
There has been interval decrease size to the previously noted broad based central disc herniation at L4-5.Persistant posterior disc bulging is evident at this level but this results in minimal ventral thecal sac impingement and no evidence of High grade central canal stenosis. There is a linear annular Tear of the cetral/posterior disc margin at this level.
No new disc bulges or herniations are seen. There are stable facet degenerative changes at L3-L4 and less so L5-S1.The L5 body again may be partially sacralized.The Conus ends normally at L1. No paraspinal masses are seen.
I was hoping someone could ease my mind on how  serious my condition could be and can anything be done so I can continue of working and enjoying sports still in my Life .I am only 37 years old and have a long way to go.I have trouble getting up out of bed in the morning but once I am up it seems to lossen up but I live with Pain everyday and it never seems to go awat somtimes so bad I can't walk or feel my leg or foot.Please Help
Thank You
Anyone with any diagonoses out there.?Please Help
Please Help me I am going nuts not knowing what is wrong with my back.I have to wait two more weeks to see the DR
U may want to try in the Back & Neck forum here on MedHelp......
I am no Doctor, but I am getting fairly good at reading this stuff cause I am all screwed up too (and so is my husband). Here is your problem in a nutshell: You have a herniated or bulging disc with a tear at L4-5. You also are developing facet arthritis, but it is mild at this point. Facet means the joints surrounding the discs- they are called facet joints in your spine. (I know this very well because I have more advanced stages of this disease). You also do not have any narrowing of your spinal canal, which is really good news. This means your spinal cord is not getting compressed. The facet problem and your degenerative disc issues and tear is what is causing your pain. I feel for you. I know what it's like. Good luck.
Thank You for your input.