Severe Low Back Pain After Standing?
Not sure where to post this, but I'm getting worse with this problem.  I get severe low back pain after standing or walking.  It's been like this for a few years, but lately, I can't stand more than a couple minutes without feeling the need to bend forward to alleviate the pressure on my back.  I've mentioned it to my doctor and my chiropractor and both of them just sort of blow it off as nothing - but it's seriously affecting my quality of life.  Even grocery shopping is difficult anymore.  Any ideas?
I have similar pain cause by standing and any type of movement.  I would check to see a specialist who knows about SI dysfunction first.  This may not be the root of the problem but the SI dysfunction will cause low back pain.  I had this for a couple of years and blew it off and then the pain became severe and has spread throughout my hip area.  I recently found out that I have misformed hips and this has caused degeneration of my hips and tendons surrounding my hips.  If I had gotten the diagnoses a couple of  years ago I may not be in such pain right now.  I would see if you can get xrays and an MRI to rule out vertebra problems.
iI have had this back pain about 8 years it keeps getting worseit hurts in lower back and feels like there is a knife cutting across it i cant stan yo long but just last yeat i was walking 3 blocks a day now it hurts to sit stand and walk dr said it was degenerative bines i am 78 my sister in law started havin this and part was denjgenerative but they did something to 2 lower vertabrates and put rod in i do not know exackly what yrt it has been 2 weeks she is my age i sure wish they could do something it hurts so bad i am going to have to go back to dr this does not seem normal to hurt all tjhe time      lots kuck   jo
Thanks so much for your responses.  I am going to make an appointment with my doctor and ask if he will order x-rays or an mri on my lower back.  I've had numerous mri's of my cervical and thoracic spine due to MS, but never lower than that.  This pain is clearly near my hip area and runs horizontally across my lower back.  It's getting so I can't even stand up long enough to wash dishes without having to sit down for relief.  Something has to be wrong.
I had this problem and it turned out to be overly tight hamstrings which were pulling on muscles of my lower back causing muscle strain.

I had read comments from over a dozen back specialists and none of them mentioned this as a possible cause. I found a comment on one of the blogs about someone who suffered for years before realizing this was his problem. If this is your problem you will need to do hamstring stretching exercises.
I have the same problem ,i cant stand for more than a few minutes or the pain in my lower back becomes unberable and i have to go set down to take the pressure off . I made my doctor give me an mri but it didnt show any thing ,i have tried stretching my back but it dosent seem to help the only way i can walk is to lean on something to take pressure off. I would like to know how to fix this !!!!!!
I have the same symptoms as you, can't stand for long without having to squat down or bend forward to take pressure off ,when doing groceries I have to use cart to help or i can not walk around, this is really getting to me ,got an appointment with neuro surgeon in April, after doing p/t, chiro and numerous injections @ pain management clinic none of which helped, just taking each painful day by day.

Davey
At 20 years of age ,back in the 1990's. i suffered from a compression of the spine due to a work related injury (posted on my journal).to make a long story short i was diagnosed by a wcb doctor who told me i have degenerative disk desease......at 20 years old?......Anyways im 44 now and the condition has worsened.i to ,have to use the grocery carts to get around the stores and have not been able to work full time to support my family for far to long.as a result, standing is a painful experience.over the years ive used a back support device to reduce pressure on my spine.which has worked great,the problem is when i work with the back support,instead of my blown disk hurting ive developed a pain in my anuls just inside my buttox it starts out like a headache and if i contiue working this ring area just inside my buttox gets compromised and the ring gets inflamed....which resulted in me having a parianal absess....ive had the second one of these absesses removed just yesterday.what i would like to know is anyone suffering from back pain have any problems with anal pain or for men pain in the testicals.......why i ask this is because a chiropractor told me this was the result of a nerve being pushed by my blown disk...to wrap this up i also experience burning feet and i also believe this is a result of the same condition.....??? any insight???anyone with the same symptoms?
Hiya,
I know this Is years after you posted about your lower back pain,I was hopeing that you still come on here....I have the exact same problem as you had & I have m.s as well,I jist wondered what the outcome of It all was??  I have never suffered so much pain, & like you the smallest of tasks I have to sit down to relieve the pain...This Is a long shot I know because It was so many years ago you posted,I just really hope that you read this...I'm going to the doctors on Tuesday to ask for a mri,already been once but It was not my Doctor so he told me to up my morphine...Which done no good so stopped taking It.
If there Is anyone else on here with m.s & has or Is suffering with the same sort of pain, could you please reply to me as I'm going out of my mind thinking all sorts lol
Thankyou anyone that has read this,
Loulou53
I'm hoping to find out as well!  I have the same thing...and break out in a sweat and get nauseous if I can't sit down after a few minutes.  
is ur pain any better now?
whihc area do u get pain
what are ur symptoms
no back pain still the same ,doctor says arthritus ,  bull!!
I had the same problem, turns out that because of my sedentary lifestyle, my core muscles had gotten weaker. Strengthening those really helped.
See: http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/07/01/rotisserie-functional-core-abs-workout/
I have had the same symptoms. I hurt so bad. I couldn't sit long, walk very far of stand very long. When standing and then siting down I have a sharp spasm that lasts about 30 seconds. I went through many tests. MRI, CT scan, x-rays.  They did find something with my lower back. Calcium deposits, artheritis. They called it Sciatica. The only thing that helps me some is doing stretches. It dosn't take all the pain away but it does ease it. I am able to walk more, stand longer and sit longer. Everytime it really starts to hurt I stretch my lower back. I also do a couple of yoga stretches. I hope this helps. They also gave me a cortisone shot in my spine. It worked for a while. I find stretching works just as well.
This sounds like SJD or sacroiliac joint dysfunction. A diagnosis is fairly easy in much of the Western world but not here in USA. It is diagnosed best by use of a sacroiliac injection of a lidocaine solution. The shot is given and after upon standing you should feel 75% to 100% relief. That would be a positive test that you have a dysfunction. Then another shot is given of a steroid like Kenalog into the sacral cavity on the side affected. Usually it is one side but sometimes both.  The doctor should then send you to a chiropractor with a few days of injection so he can manipulate joint. You will be a new person after this. I suffered for 8 yrs with this. The symptoms are identical to yours. I had X-rays and MRI's and nothing was found. I had to tell them to do this and they referred me to a place that did it on an outpatient basis. You really need to talk to your doctor about it as they never seem to identify this as a SJD. Get another DR. if you have to but the chances are very high this is your problem.
I understand the feeling your going through. I too am having the same problems.  I have been in the nursing field for 13 years and never had so much pain in my lower back like this.  I'm only 33, and have to lean on Walls if I'm standing for over 2 minutes. I can't walk to my car in my parking lot without my low back and hips feeling like their going to give up on me.  I haven't got a MRI or XRAY yet due to me gaining weight for sitting all the time. Doctors are going to say its my weight. But I can't work out like I use to because of the pain. I cry almost everyday because I can't find out what it is. I told doctors about it but they just blow it off. This developed and got worst with in 3 months, and three months I been out of work. I want to go back to work but can't walk or stand without me leaning or finding support to ease pressure off my lower back and hips. I could only pray we all could find someone that could give us the answer.
Glad I found this thread I was beginning to think I was going mad. I have suffered acute pack pain since I was 29. It started literally over night - I woke up unable to lift my head from the pillow moving at all was agony. In the beginning docs said it was muscle strain,but several years and many tests later I was told it was scoliosis & I would just have to live with it & I have struggled on since. From being  active I went to being hardly able to move. Things have got really bad in the last year - standing just 2 mins in the same position results in acute pain across my lower back back centering on hip area. Doctors blame sciatica but after 20+ years of that pain I can tell the difference losing weight is impossible when you can not move.If anyone gets a 'proper' diagnosis I would love to hear from them
I feel like I am reading myself. I have the same problems with my back. I am unable to stand or walk for no more than a minute or two. I have been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease & Osteoarthritis. I have 2 discs in my back that are completely dried out. Absolutely no fluid. So it is just vertebrae on vertebrae. Because of my weight i feel like my dr's wont help me. But please tell me if I am in constant ppain and unable to get around how am i suppose to lose weight?? One dr even told me it is useless for me to be on a diet. WOW Thanks for the support. The drs wont even give me pain meds. All they give me is Mobic & Naproxen. Absolutely no help at all. My quality of life is so deminished I want to give up. I have to sit to do dishes or take a shower or anything in general. Ridiculous. BY THE WAY I AM ONLY 34 YEARS OLD. I have been dealing with this since i was 30. :(
I'm 17 and I've had this same exact issue. Only it takes me about 30 seconds to a minute before it starts hurting, and it hurts worse the more I continue to stand .  It only hurts on the right side of my lower back . It kinda sends the throbbing pain down my leg too . Its unbearable and crippling . The only relief I find is when I'm sitting or hunched forward . Only been feeling it for about a week now , but I've had no prior injuries to my back , so I can't understand what could be causing this .
I felt like I could have written your story myself. I am 44 years old and my pain has been going on for 3 years now. The past 10 months it has gotten to where I cannot even stand to take a shower. My husband has to help me get dressed, because I cannot stand in one spot for too long. I have went through 4 doctors and 3 MRIs and X-rays and they all try telling me it is arthritis. I  have sent my results from my MRI out of state to a doctor that has never met me, and he found I have degenerative disc disease, a bulging disc, a cyst on my kidneys(5cm), spurs and bone fragments, along with some other issues. He suggested that when I walk and stand for even a minute, that my kidneys are stretching and pushing my disc causing my pain to start and increase rapidly to where I cannot move anymore. At my insistence, I have an appt with an orthopedic surgeon next week to discuss FIXING the problem, instead of blowing me off and trying to mask it with pain killers and muscle relaxers. They do not even affect the pain, and physical therapy just made it worse. I have gained 130 pounds since this started as I cannot move around anymore. I used to walk almost 2 hours a day, and run and play with my kids. Now I am 80% bed-bound. This is NOT NORMAL in any way, and if any doctor tries to tell you that it is, get another one...and another...until one actually listens to you. Good Luck!!!
My heart goes out to all of you with this type of back pain.  Real quick, here is what I went through.  In my early 30's I started having severe lower back pain whenever I was on my feet for more than 15 minutes.  I called it a "belt of pain" because I also felt it in my pelvis.  When I mentioned it to drs., I was sent for tests to see if I had ovarian cysts, endometriosis, etc.  Nothing found.  I couldn't understand why 85 year old women were able to stand in line at the grocery store and I was in such pain!  Now, at age 57, I finally went to the dr. and was diagnosed with significant degenerative disc disease and spinal arthritis.  I used to think this was "all in my head."  Pursue this for a diagnosis.  When I was younger, no one took me seriously.  Once you're over 50, it can be different. All those years!  I'm doing ok; taking 2 Aleve daily and being careful.  Again, my heart goes out to you. BrokenMama ~ you are too young to have so much pain.  babyjessie is correct...this is not normal.  Don't stop until you find a compassionate dr. and get some help.  
Check out Piriformis Syndrome.   The piriformis can put pressure on the sciatic nerve and cause hip/back/leg problems.   It's tough to heal it but not impossible.  Sedentary lifestyle (sitting all day at the computer, etc.), gaining weight in the abdominal area and losing core strength all contribute to making the back pain worse.  It's all about muscle balancing.  When something is out of whack, it throws other things out of whack until the body can't take it any more.  Piriformis syndrome is often missed by doctors as it won't show up in an MRI or X-ray.  Yoga and stretching, along with PT usually help, but it does take awhile and you have to be consistent in doing the stretching and exercises everyday, as well as being conscious of your body mechanics.  Rick Olderman is a PT who's written a number of books on fixing pain.  Check out his "Fixing You" series.   I have the one on Hip and Knee Pain and it's very informative.  Will be purchasing the one on Back Pain next.
Did you ever find out why you break out in a sweat and get nauseated when you stand for very long? I have had the same problem for a few years now.
I have had low back pain for years. When I was 18 I went to the doctor because my back went out on me at work, when I bent down to pick something up I couldn't raise back up again, it felt like the bottom half of my body split apart from the upper half. This happened on several occasions. The doc said that due to a birth defect, a missing ligament or something, he said what it was but I really didn't understand what he was talking about. Anyway, it caused a polinodil cyst just above my buttocks. years later I had an MRI that showed no signal activity in L5 and S1, the doc just said it's arthritis! Now if I stand for very long I have severe pain in my lower back and in the area of my pelvic/pubic bone, and I break out into a cold sweat, get very nauseated, feels like I'm going to pass out if I don't sit down, in fact it's as if the floor isn't low enough for me to lay down so these symptoms go away. I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this. Also I have several places on my back and bottom of my neck that are completely numb, there is no sense of touch on them. Any ideas???
I hear you all, on August 7, 2013 was walking thru grocery store, all of the sudden out of the blue, excruciating pain in lower back and deep muscle pain in thighs.  Since then I have gained 30 pounds.  I have been to a general orthopedic did the usual MRI Xrays blood work etc.  I still have no explanation for the lower back pain, after 3 minutes of standing or walking I have to sit.  It has changed my life, I cannot work, clean house, carry anything etc.  So far I know I have Degenerative disc disease, arthritis, herniated disc, bulging disc,  nodes, sciatica...........and the doctors have no clue why I cannot stand longer than 3 minutes.  I am in pain management now, diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome.  If I ever find out what is going on I promise to share the info.  PT did not help me.
My lower back pain is only on my left side. Sitting or laying down is fine. It really gets bad when I'm on my feet alot. If I go shopping with the wife I'll wear one of those menthol cold/heat sticky pads and that really helps. If I keep walking at a fair pace the pain is not as apparaent but if I stop and look at some things with her or we move at a slow pace then it really hurts. It's only on my left side, never in the middle or the right and it's always down low like just above the hip bone. I am a 44 yr old male, selfemployed so I stay busy most of the time. I don't have time for the gym and I am overweight at 236lb at 6'2. i was very active for a while doing alot of hiking but my activity level has dropped because of lack of time. I feel like my main course of action should be lose some of the weight and make time for exercise. Recommendations are appreciated
Were you able to find out the problem? I am going through the same thing and I have been out of work for 11 months and no one can figure it out.
Again ,this is years later,but I'm suffering the very same symptoms. I have for years. It comes and goes and today ITS HERE!!! It almost feels like I've got a bump on my lower back side, but when I feel it ,there's no lump. It's hurting me to wash dishes and load them into the dish washer. I find my self leaning over the sink to relieve the pain,/ & pressure.
I hope you don't take this wrong ,but I'm glad there are others out there dealing with this. I have chronic pain in my neck and it took the des 3 years to figure out what we going on, and even now they can't quite explains all my symptoms. But This one I can now say "ahha!!!" I have horrible pain in my armpits too ,if anyone can identify........:)
I'm not alone, makes me feel better....I have RA, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia. I'm 55 and over the past 5 yrs my body stiffness has worsened. About a year ago I started having soreness/pain in my lower back/left side, somewhat of a crushing/pressure feeling to the point that I would have to stop what I was doing, rest a bit, continue and then just sit til it eased up. I just chalked it up as, hey I'm getting older things are going to hurt ( I have never had back pain in my life ). However over the past 5 months all this has been more of a severe state...I can't walk for more than 5-10 minutes without that crushing pain feeling starting up....standing for a few minutes is the same. The more I am active the worse it gets. Sitting, resting helps, but once I start to do just normal everyday things it starts, by days end I'm almost hunched over. I also experience severe stiffness after walking to the point were I have trouble bending my legs just to get in a car. I have seen my PCP and Rheumatologist . I had an MRI ( lower back/lumbar spine ) and Bone density, both test show minimal issues. Fibromyalgia is what they both are tossing around a bit ( not a positive diagnosis for me ) Right now both dr's want me to try some stretches etc ( therapy isn't an option due to the cost and I lost my job ). So I am trying to stay active, along with trying stretches and all but nothing has changed. I'll be seeing my dr's again in a few weeks and my next step is to see  orthopedic  doctor. After reading all the comments on here from people having the same issues has made me feel better....I honestly didn't think anyone could have these same symptoms  detailed to the tee. I also seen a comment on here and read up on SI / Sacroiliac joints. I'll be speaking to my doctor about this too. I hope to find out just what is going on and I won't give up nor will I be pumped full of meds. This pain is real, and I want answers. I would like to hear from people who are going through this.
I doubt if the original poster is still here after 6 years, but for those who have similar symptoms....

Please understand, no one can make a diagnosis with one clue. The simple answer might be that Patti is carrying too much weight around her middle (it stresses the lower back), has poor muscle tone in her abdomen, and needs to strengthen her core set of muscles.

However, these signs could point to something more serious. When someone complains of standing pain that is relieved by flexion of the lumbar spine, that is, bending forward while walking, it could indicate lumbar spinal stenosis, ie, a narrowing of the spinal canal that pinches the spinal cord.  When the spinal cord is pinched by the lumber vertebrae, bending forward opens the spinal canal and relieves some of the pressure.

And there could be a host of other reasons for this pain.

To resolve this issue, this patient needs to see a spine specialist (not a chiropractor) for a history and physical exam. An MRI may be indicated if the physician finds further evidence of stenosis.

Best wishes to you all.
It makes me angry when I hear people with DDD be told that if they lost weight their pain would get better.  I need to GAIN weight and cannot gain for nothing.  I have yet for a dr to tell me it is because I am too thin.  so sorry for those who have to hear that.
I have had pain on the left side of my lumbar area, about 2 inches or so from my si joint for the past 10 years or so. I had a golf ball size lipoma removed from left lumbar region in January of 2013. It was buried deep in the muscle and I thought that was what was causing my pain after standing for a while. After the surgery I couldn't walk for several months, surgeon said it was normal. Now after almost a year and a half, I can't walk a half of a block without being in extreme pain(tears) and I have a huge tolerance for pain. I'm beginning to wonder if it is from the surgery. It aches when sitting, but I feel like I have to disengage something for the pain to subside.I too have gained weight, and while I know weight can contribute to things, it's not the fix all that Dr. think it is. I can only exercise if I want to be in a lot of pain, which I have been trying, because now I'm pre diabetic. I am so frustrated. I was able to walk a lot before all of this too.
Hi was just reading about your back and I have the same trouble , am full of osteoarthritis and just had a thr a month ago but while my hip is fine it's my back that's the problem, walking ,doing dishes , getting out of bed in the mornings etc and my lower back gets to a point were my legs won't work and I stiffen up completely , the doctors just keep upping my morphine but am going to a chronic pain clinic next week so I hope they will look into it more . Am 43 and should be out partying now that my kids are old enough to stay on there own but I don't go out unless I go shopping and then I have to go with someone , I've had to give up work and my life basically , have you got any tips ?? Anything will be a help x
I am 30 years old, I have a 12 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I gained sooo much weight with my daughter and for the past year I have had the very same issues. I can not wash dishes, mop, vacumme, hold my daughter or walk for more than a few minutes. I have the worst lower back pain, I have to actually find a seat quick in order for the pain to go away. I hate it. I feel like its due to my weight or DDD cup size but all the doctor says is lose weight, its hard to just lose weight when your always in pain. This pain is ruining my life. Something has go to give.
I'm a 37 year old guy,  i started getting pain in my left buttock which spread to my lower back just over a year and a half ago and now i feel it mildly on the right but in my hip. had 2 MRI scans done and nothing but very mild disc degeneration which doesn't explain the amount of pain im in. the amount of pain did vary just like my symptoms but now its pretty severe all the time. ive get symptoms like, a severe burning/cramping feeling in my left buttock, slight twinging in my lower back, just above my butt crack and pain radiating from that spot. An aching inside the back of my leg and on the left side of my left calf. pain also comes from the inside of my left lliac joint. I also get clicking and popping in my lower back sometimes if i twist or even just reach forward. laying down definitely helps, and the only time i have no pain or very mild pain is in the mornings when i wake up. usually within 10 minutes the pain starts again and that's it for the rest of the day then. things are really starting to suck because of this!!  Because the specialist doesn't exactly know whats going on, ive been fobbed off with mechanical lower back pain!
Ive seen this guy 2 or 3 times now and fobbed off with the same thing each time"mechanical back pain"
Anyone have these symptoms?
I also have the same symptoms!  It seems I can only stand on my feet for 2 hours before I start feeling nauseated and break out in a cold sweat!  I wish I knew what was causing it!  I recently quit 2 jobs because the same thing happened at both jobs!  Once I even almost blacked out!  Has anyone figured out what it is?  I would really love to know and get this fixed!
Get off the computer and get exercising.  Seriously, start slow and work up to more.  Join a gym, find a trainer there, they will help you with a program that's just right for you.  Exercise is usually not pleasant at first, but really, you have to understand it gets easier and you will get stronger.  With a regular routine a few times a week you will notice a huge difference in even one month! If you can't afford the gym, seek out a trainer for a few sessions to help you learn some exercises that will strengthen your core and that you can do at home.  Too many people think they can't exercise because they have knee pain or other pain, and much of that is contributed to weak and unbalanced muscles. Make a goal and try it for 3 months, feel the difference.
Don't give up hope! Try and do as much research as possible on your own.  And yes, diet will help a tremendous amount!
I have the same problem. If I stand for more tham15 minutes the pain goes from my back down both my legs,terrible pain.I get like a throbbing pain down the middle of my back. I got an x-ray the other day. Waiting on results. Now with this problem are you able to work,because the job I have I am on my feet 7 out of  8hrs.
I'm not sure if you still read this but I just wanted to say that really stinks that basically they are telling you to just live with it. I am very lucky and found a doctor that has scoliosis and has had back problems the majority of her life so she never just blew me off. I too was overweight, i still am but I have lost 30 pounds and still going. I had other problems that developed at the about the same time so we had several things to deal with. I also had joint pain develop in several joints and was diagnosed with arthritis and was finally put on Celebrex which helped with the other joint pain, but the back continued and got worse, so my doctor sent me for an MRI and X-rays. I have Degenerative Disc Disease, and bone spurs on 2 lumbar vertebrae. She had sent me for physical therapy before we did the set of X rays that showed the DDD, and it didn't work so she put me on a Phentermine and gave me a diet to follow to help with losing weight. I too have trouble doing very much so I thought, how can I lose weight, but I have. I take one pill a day, really watch what I eat and do simple things like take little short walks. I am 5'4" and weighed 227 when this started and as of now I weigh 197. I just started going for intermittent traction so I can't tell you if it might help you, but if you are like me you would try anything to stop or at least minimize the pain. I guess my point is if you haven't already you should find a new doctor, one that is more sympathetic to your problems and will try more than just mild anti inflammatories. My doctor finally prescribed a pain medication so I could at least function since I am a single mother to a 6 year old. My hope is to lose more weight, and find something to let me live a good quality of life with no pain medication, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for it now, but who wants to take that stuff long term. I hope you have found some relief by now, but if you haven't I hope you can find the right doctor.  
Hi all
I have lumbar DDD plus facet joint degeneration which together causes narrowing of my spinal canal (stenosis). I've had this condition for over 20 years. So I can't stand for long and have had sciatica and constant  stiffness.
A few months ago I read a book by an Australian physiotherapist called Sarah Key. She explains the causes of most disc/facet/stenosis problems.
The sequence of events is the following.
The disc loses fluid thru bulging/herniation/prolapse. This in turn causes the vertebrae to drop down onto the facet joints (holds spine together) below that segment causing the joint to shear and inflame the joint capsule. The joint segment is now unstable so the muscles covering this area (mainly erector spinae and multifidus) go into spasm to stop the joint moving. This is a protective automatic response from the brain. Unfortunately this causes the spine to become even more compressed and so more pain follows.

Treatment is the following (depending on severity of condition).
Decompression of spine using a backblock (plastic/wooden shaped block which sits under your sacrum and you lie on it face up for 60 seconds. Then you do 60 seconds of spinal rocking followed by 60 seconds of reverse curl ups. Repeat 3 times.

I have been doing this for a few months now with definite improvements. Its a slow process but very worthwhile. I recommend googling Sarah Key if interested.

Hope this helps :)

I am 32, F. I have multiple compressed and depressed discs in my lower to mid back and a fracture to the right side of my lower back. I get this as well. Last night I was trying to brush my daughters hair. I tried bending forward to relieve the ache. It didn't help. So I squatted. And kept brushing. I ended up having to stop brushing because my back felt like it was going to snap in 2. I sat on my bed but it still hut. So I took my Ambien and went to bed. Today it still hurts so bad just to sit or walk. I am supposed to go to the neurologist soon for suspected MS. So I have other issues as well. I wish i knew what was going on. And this is not the first time that this has happened. I also have one hip that is higher than the other. I guess you could say that I am a mess. LOL
Scooby1951 rocks!!! Intelligent too!
Okay so I'm 5 (26 in march) and I have a 6 yo and am pregnant about 7 weeks along id say. So all of you are in the same boat I was in I had spinal fusion done almost 3 years ago. if that fixed everything it would be amazing Spinal fusion IS NOT A CURE ALL  . L4 L5 fusion btw. So they were supposed to do a procedure to kill nerves that have damage on my spine since my spine pushed so hard on my nerves we think nerve damage is now the cause of my chronic pain. PM Dr is helping me manage my pain till I give birth. So.... it could be worse.
Philnoir is correct. Look up spinal stenosis and see yourselves in the symptoms. I have suffered for 20 or more years and it is progressive. I know what is causing this life altering pain. I wish I knew what would stop it. Laser surgery commercials list this as one of their many surgeries. Has anyone tried the laser surgery?
Theses people,including myself,probably have peripheral neuropathy.Spinal stenosis will show up on an MRI.Peripheral neuropathy won't.It can be completely incapacitating,with pain driving people to suicide.And you can look normal and even have a normal gait.The pain is refractory to treatment,and living with this is a Hell on Earth.I cannot imagine a worse predicament.
I have the same problems with back, leg. and hip pain.  I have had an MRI and they diagnosed me with degenerative spinal arthritis.  I am 68 and it is getting worse.  I have tried everything and nothing really works.  The best thing is tramadol for pain and oxy I just tried for breakthrough pain.  I will not take anymore of that oxy stuff, it made me so sick to my stomach.  I cannot take anti-inflammatory,  Advil. or anything in that category.  I almost died from vasculatis,. and they said the mixture of all these meds caused it.  So, this is why I am taking tramadol. I have a great doctor but I am so tired of being in so much pain, I guess it is something we have to live with, right?  I feel sorry for all of you, and I wish you the best. suv
I have exactly the same feeling of pain across my lower back. I also have similar awful pain behind my knees and my right arm from my shoulder to my hand is sore especially when I extend and stretch it or lift a mug. Have had this for number of years, had X-rays and they say all clear, like nothing's wrong. I feel like I'm wasting Drs time whe X-ray shows nothing. I am in so much pain a lot of the time, I have fibromyalgia and I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetics type 2(diet, no meds yet). It's frustrating, I am not imagining the pain, like you, I can't stand for long at sink. I walk every day, sometimes a couple of mile, sometime 5 or 6 mile its agony at times. I keep pushing myself I don't want to cease up, I feel my joints need lubricating with a good dose of grease. Sorry for complaining, can anyone advise please Dee, Lurgan NI
I have had back pain for years but then i had a spinal block done 8 years ago and ever since sometimes when im standing or walking i get a sharp pain shoot up my spine. I can't pick up a lot of stuff. When I do have to pick up a box or something like that I am down for days.
If I'm bent over to long I can barely walk.  Every night when I lay down my back pain is so bad that I am in tears until my back finally adjust.
Does anyone know what is going on? When it happens it fast and sharp and sometimes takes me to my knees. Feels like someone is stabbing me.
I haven't been able to work for almost 1 1/2 years now. I need left knee replacement and have dessicated discs in my spine, one bulging & one herniated discs. I have Spinal Stenosis, Osteoporosis, Osteoporosis Osteoarthritis and Diabetes. In the past 10 years I've put on 60 lbs and have not been able to exercise much because of my chronic pain. I've been in Pain Management since 2012 and taking Morphine & Oxycodone daily as prescribed. I have a TENS Unit which helps some, along with hot baths, ice packs, Lidocaine patches. I had to discontinue PT because my insurance only covers short term therapy.I cannot do simple things like grocery shop, laundry, clean house, do dishes or walk to my maibox without being in excruciating pain. I'm lucky if I sleep 3 hrs without having to get up & move around. I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING imaginable to alleviate the pain. I don't know how much longer I can live like this! I have no quality of life as I once knew it.
I can relate to all your posts & I feel your pain. I heard somewhere that God won't give us MORE than we can handle but how much more must I bear? I've been able to lose 20 lbs but no matter how hard I try, the scales stay the same. I miss the active lifestyle I used to have, I miss doing things I used to enjoy with my Husband, kids & Grandkids! I want my life back!!! I appreciate any & all feedback. Thank You.

Thank you for those book titles. I have the same pain issues starting about a year ago. I went to a friend for a massage and he worked to stretch the piriformis area (as I swore like a sailor). I wish doctors would learn and share more about alternatives to pain meds. I intend on reactivating my core muscles and losing the 40 lbs I have gained in the last couple of years. Upon reading all these messages I realize how integral stretching and core strength training is, no matter how daunting it feels. FYI, folks, one stretch is to lay on your back, cross one leg over the other, and then pull your legs toward your chest as far as you can. That will stretch your piriformis!
I just finished posting that answers were never found on the internet but reading your post I must take it back.  This is one of the few (if any) actions that a chronic pain sufferer has taken that provided relief!  Thank you for being a friend!
Did you ever find relief?
I am only 56 and I can't stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes before that lower back pain starts. When I'm sitting the pain is gone. I have had x rays (showed up nothing) a spinal injection osteo and physio and none of them worked. No one can tell me why this has happened and what can be done about it. I can't go shopping with my friends or walk anywhere it's so frustrating.....
Haven't posted my story here but it is much the same as all others.  Mine began about 10 years ago.  I HAVE TRIED (not necessarily in this order): diagnosis and treatments by innumerable physicians -- all disciplines; acupuncture; spending a lot of $$$ on a holistic quack; PT; resting; exercising; heating; icing; endless diagnostic injections -- some steroid, some not;  many, many x-rays and scans; every medication the doctors could think of; back-to-back surgeries... 1 for spinal stenosis and 1 for scoliosis... which installed 2 titanium rods and 6 stainless steel screws in my spine.  OUTCOME: Surgeries ended my most severe pain and allowed me to walk.  DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE, for months following surgery, straightened out the muscles my muscles and tendons and released them from the misalignment caused by having held my body in unnatural positions while trying to cope with the pain that was taken away by the surgeries.  I believe the DTM was a very important component of recovery.  HOWEVER, the one pain I began with, my MYSTERY PAIN (low, deep point in pelvic area which shoots up to point in rear, middle, upper hip -- radiates along that line) REMAINS.  It is brought on by standing in one spot or walking/moving very slowly (as in washing dishes or shopping.)  It is slowly increasing.  Still no medical professional has an answer for this and it continues to erode the quality of my life.  If I EVER find an answer for it I promise to post it all over the web because, as much as I have searched for the cause, all I have EVER found on the internet are questions from those made desperate by their  pain and the lives that are passing them by.  NEVER ANSWERS!!!!
I use muscle relaxers and stand with crutches. I can walk for hours but standing gets me. I have both MS and disk issues.
Hi I no this is a long time after you posted this, I was wondering how you were with it now ? Did you have any treatment? My life is utterly awful with this I'm so fed up and very depressed with it x
I am thankful to have found that I am not alone in the pain I have been suffering for months now. My problem is very similar to other posts here minus one exception. My pain starts this way:  I'm a side sleeper but for months I have woken and find myself on my stomach and my lower back is killing me. It takes me a few minutes to roll to my side and get out of bed. Once out of bed and walking around the pain is much reduced, almost gone. My morning routine before work is a quick one and I don't spend too much time standing, except while I prepare my lunch at the counter where the pain in my lower back creeps back in. This is such a short period of time and once I'm moving around the house again it again subsides. Then it's. 30 minute drive to work, no pain, a little stiffness but nothing to bothersome. Once at work if I have to stand still for more than a few minutes the pain comes back, and the longer I have to stand the worse it gets, unbearable really, and I have to force myself to sit. Initially this hurts as well. After sitting for a bit I am able to get back up but I have to be moving-no standing still. This is easily accomplished due to my job requirements. And then it's done for the day. No more pain. Standing in one a lot doesn't bother me for the rest of the day. And then it starts all over again the next day. It's like I have to work up to being able to stand in one spot. Yesterday at the grocery I ran into a friend who was long winded in a story, I couldn't get away from the conversation, or the fact that I had to stand the whole time to listen to her go on. The pain came, shifting my weight from leg to leg did nothing to help the problem, I didn't want to be rude and walk away so I stood there, better than 30 minutes. It was excruciating! Finally when we parted, the walking helped but I could barely lift grocery items into my cart. It took much longer to work out the pain with walking. Probably because I did not have the benefit of being able to sit. I almost left the store and went home. I know I am overweight, I'm 5'4", 200lbs, age 44. I did have a Lowe back sprain when I was 20, and occasionally have problems with sciatica. I have yet to see the dr, after reading everyone's posts here I don't know that it would do much good. I think my first and best bet would be to lose some weight, this makes sense to me since I have other lower joints starting to bother me.
Hey I read your comment and I want to let you know you are NOT alone. I am currently going through the same thing. My lower back tends to hurt while walking and standing the most and I can feel it in my hips and upper buttock area. When I arch my back I get pain too and depending on how I'm sitting it can be bothersome too. I haven't gone to the dr because I am terrified. I really don't know what to do and have been searching for other people's experiences. whenever I go to the stores by the time I'm there and shopping I'm ready to leave cause the pain is bothersome. Anyways let me know if you have any updates and I hope all is well.   ----Kelly
I'm 44, for the past 3 years I had unbearable pain especially in my lower lumber region, upper buttocks, hips is unbearable. Standing, walking and sitting is almost impossible and so painful. I have had Fibromyalgia since I was 19. I think I have Undiagnosed SLE Lupus or possible another autoimmune disease along with the Fibromyalgia. I have tried to explain to my doctor that I am stiff upon getting up and instead of being able to walk it off, it's like my back twists itself tighter and my hips lock. I lean forward, sometimes it helps other times no relief. I literally cannot move and have to find somewhere to sit. The spasms don't go away then either. Yesterday, we took our daughter to Chuck E. Cheese. I couldn't even walk around with her and play games. Sitting was uncomfortableness when I got up to walk out, I was hunched over like a 90 year old lady. I was in tears the whole way home,  the only relief I get it laying down But even then it's still hurts. My hip pain radiates down my legs into my feet. I flip and flop all night. I have no insurance. I need an MRI and a specialist. My doctor won't do anything because I'm too young and just need to lose weight.I am a curvy girl but not huge.  I cannot even walk, I can barely stand without extreme pain. I do stretches and all. I cannot do anything like housekeeping, grocery shopping, basic stuff. I am just at my wits end.  Hope we all find out what is causing our pain. Stacey from MS Gulf Coast.
I have exactly the same issue. For now,when I get the pain in lower left side of the back,i stand with my feet a foot apart and pointing straight ahead. Then keeping my legs straight,i lean forward keeping my arms straight and grab my knees with both hands and hold this position for about 12 seconds. When I stand up,the pain is considerably better but only lasts for about 8-10 minutes before I have do do it again.So u can imagine when I'm out shopping how I have to cope. Doctors just give me ibuprofen. Also i find if I sleep on my right side with my right hand placed under my right cheek and left hand between both my knees,this helps me get through the night. Stretching exercises help but for limited time and pain is back again. Sitting down also lessens the pain but I'm a goer not a sitter.