Degenerative Diseases Community
cervical disc disintegration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

cervical disc disintegration

Had a fall about 5 months ago and got no pain at first but since then have had all sorts of pain in my neck and lower back. xray results say no bony injury but reversal of the normal cervical lumbar lordosis and loss of disc at c5/6 level. Further xray showed loss of disc height at l3/4 and l4/5 with pedicles intact. I have dreadful burning pain in my neck and across my shoulders if i sit for too long at the pc or if i even do a little housework or sometimes if i am not exerting myself at all. I often lose the strength in my arms when grasping things and have pain in my lower back. I have also started getting pain in my heels in the morning. The doctor said to go and see an osteopath  and other than that do some light excercise. I am only in my early 40's - is there anything else i can do to help make this better and should i be having a scan or any further investigation
Osteopaths can be helpful. As someone who has a lot of spinal problems, I can tell you that sometimes it not really necessary to know the exact origin of your pain as long as you long as you can get it to go away, seeing the Osteopath might help.

If your pain doesn't improve, you're going to need an MRI. X-rays don't show discs,nerves or soft tissue, just bone.

Take Care
thanks for your comment. Have had 2 sessions so far so we will see how we go. He thinks the problem might reach as far back as an accident I had 20 years ago but am wondering how I am just getting problems now
Have you researched Fibromyalgia at all? I wish you the best of luck.
Yes but satisfied it is not the problem. Osteo going really well. Haven't had the arm problems for a while now touch wood. He thinks I have a problem with my rotator cuff and my rhomboids - if that is how you spell it. We are starting work on my lower back next week
Hi. I am 37 and have had Degenerative Disk Disease in my Lumbar and Cervical Spine for quite some years. I have allll the same symptoms as you do (: Not that it makes me happy... i just wanted you to know. Mine has just recently become worse than the "norm", if there really is a "norm" for Spinal problems. If you read up on DDD you will find your symptoms are common with that and further testing is a must to know the exact orgin your pain is coming from. Too many doctors want to treat the symptoms and NOT the problem which is rather frustrating, especially when you don't have the "prime" insurance for things to be done.  My husband is a nurse and says it happens allll the time.  I really believe your pain is coming from you  neck, but hey, i am not a doctor (:  I know that with my neck i have had to go to sleeping on a Buckwheat Hull pillow. They are very heavy and take a bit to get use too, but any other orthapedic pillow, even the spaced aged foam stuff (have a brain fart, can't think of the name ) makes my limbs go numb within a few hours of sleeping on it.  Also, when sleeping on your side, you should have pillows firm and have enough space for your bottom shoulder to be at its normal width span. As for my lumbar, i use a pillow between my legs when laying on my side.  Definitely tummy sleeping is a big "no - no"  (: Well i said all that to to hope help some and say: i wish you the best in getting to the problem while they help soothe your symptoms.
Hi i'm 49 and i have cervical spine osteoarthritis or Advanced Degenerative Disc Disease on multiple levels for 7 yrs now. Neurosurgeons have said surgery will not happen ( anywhere in the world ) cos it's far too dangerous !!!!!! less than 5% chance of success......and if it was successful i would have more pain in my neck...ffs! ,

Nerve Conduction Tests have shown that i have severe muscle deterioation in my Deltoid's, Tricep's and Bicep's if i dont have surgery i am going to lose the use of my arms, but no-one in the world will do the op......LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Drug's........iv'e had them all, except valium, .. (.the only drug that will stop muscle spasm's ) because the DR says it is too addictive.........but hey!....here's CLONAZEPAM ( derivative of valium ) DULOXETINE ( for clinical depression ) and..........wait for it !..........OXYCONTIN ( hillbilly heroine )....which within 5 months turned me into a junkie zombie.....a very angry one! .

Enough was enough!, on the 13th aug, i took the lot.........84 clonazepam 60 duloxetine 56 x 10mg oxy's  56 x 20mg oxy's . On sunday 15th aug....after 2 days of stumbling about like a zombie! a friend took one look at me ......took me to hospital....and the result's came back.....blood pressure.....normal......blood threads.....normal...WTF!!!!!!!!.....this cannot possibly be!!!!!, HOW THE HELL CAN MY BODY ABSORB SO MUCH OPIATES!, I NEED ANSWERS.......BUT CAN'T GET THEM!.

Dr has taken me off oxy's.....lol....he has left me with my other med's, but they are no use. I have went from energetic to housebound in 7 sad, and cruel,  yrs and to add insult to my intelligence ( ok od was'nt intelligent ) my Dr says " the tablets probably....lol......got stuck in my gullet and my body did'nt absorb it ".....LMFAO !!!!!!.

As you can tell,  i'm still here....still in chronic pain......but i still need answers, so peeps,  can anyone possibly give me a valid possible answer to my querie's.