Degenerative Diseases Community
constant headache c5/c6 disc degeneration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Hello
I am hoping you might be able to help me. I have had a constant "headache" for some 18 months now. The pain varies from a 5/10 to an incapacitating migraine (twice weekly). It swaps sides from day to day. When it is in the right side it is mainly felt in the suboccipital area and when it is in the left it is in the suboccipitals but also radiates down my cervical spine and behind the left eye brown.
My MRI showed a degenerating disc c5/c6. My surgeon believes this to be the cause of the headaches and want to replace the damaged disc with a prestige artificial disc.
On the other hand my pain specialist thinks that it could be coming from the c2/c3 area on the right whilst the left sided pain is coming from the damaged disc.
What do you think would be the most likely. As my pain is always there but swaps sides I am feeling very confused. I have small children to look after and this is slowly destroying my family.
I have taken triptans, which create a rebound headache in 24 hours, as does codeine based preparations.
I do not take anything regularly for the pain but I take zolpiden to sleep through the migraine pain when it comes (2 x week) and zomig 1-2 x week. I also take maxalon to help with the vomiting.
Thank you so much for providing this forum.
One thing that really helped me was decompression therapy.  This is a machine similar to a traction machine that my local chiropractor had.  It relieves the pressure of the disc issues and really helped my headaches a lot!  I also began having massage therapy to relieve the tension in the neck and shoulder muscles.  Both have been a god send an no side effects like all the meds!
I am 37 I have had lower back ( discectomy/laminectomy L5-6) surgery in 1999 and in 2001 after the birth of my last child my upper back and neck really started to bother me exspecially where your skull meets the spine in that crevace I had a mri and was told that the disc in C5-6 was damaged  I also had a nerve block on the right top of my head to stop the pain when I bent over I would get a sharp pain on the top right side of my head and it fixed that but now when I get a headache in the back  I have pain that goes from the back up over my head on the left and in my left eye socket .  I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease even before my lower back surgery . they advised me to get neck surgery where the disc would be taken out and a cadavers disc put in then held in place by screws ect..I am really scared to do this and they said that it would not garantee the headaches and pain would stop I have tried various anti depressants for the pain and topomax (topamax) when I get these headaches I have a hard time functioning it hurts soooo bad and last a long time I take morphine 30mg daily and have been on it for 2 yrs and it doesnt even begin to help my headaches so I know how you feel I have yet to find something that helps me .my doc said no to any chiropractic stuff because of the condition of the discs if you get any good medications for the headaches please let me know good luck ..