degenerative or accident related?
HI

I have been suffering low back pain since an RTA.  I experience sharp pain/shooting pain, burning sensations and tight back muscles amongst other aches and pains. I am managing my pain with painkillers but have been for 18 months now and have not noticed any improvement.  I have also had physio, seen a chiropractor?(back specialist) and since been referred back to physio.
I have recently undergone an MRI scan.  Results as follows

L2/3 Posterior annular tear and broad based dsc bulge with mild facet joint degeneration causing mild to moderate canal stenosis.  No lateral recess stenosis.

L3/4 Broad based disc bulge and facet joint degeneration noted.  No nerve root or thecal sac compression.

L4/5 There is a large broad based disc bulge and a focal disc bulge with facet joint degeneration causing moderate to severe canal stenosis.  the lateral recess has not been adequately evaluated, but I suspect there is at least moderate lateral recess stenosis bilaterally, worse on the left, compromising the left L5 nerve root.

L5/S1 Broad based disc bulge noted.  No nerve root or thecal sac compression.

My question is this.  Before the traffic accident I experienced no problem with back pain atall.  Are my symptoms accident related or symptoms of a degenerative condition?   And why do I feel it now and not before?

Many thanks
Hi. I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago. about a day or two later I started having swelling in my neck and numbness across my shoulders. I went to the er and they did xrays and said I had whip lash. put me on muscle relaxers and some pain meds. told me to follow up with reg. doc in two weeks. my husband and I decided since it was in my neck we would be more comfortable with a neck specialist. he saw me and told me I had degenerative spondylosis which is I'm assuming deterioration of the spine. I told him I hadn't had any problems untill the wreck. he said that was common. he said my spine was already deteriorating , the wreck just agravated it. the insurance had to compensate me for it , they just couldn't be held responsible for the wreck. now I live in constant pain from it.   Good luck capsule1