Degenerative Diseases Community
pain meds. when quite tolerant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

pain meds. when quite tolerant

Hi, this is my first post, I had a Heart attack 6 years ago ( perfect BP and Chlos.) Then came fibromyalgia with Renaud's syndrome and trigger finger,3 years ago I got Morgellons ( I an not delusional, please see thenmo.org.) Now about 3 months ago I was found to have multiple disk and bone degeneration with narrowing, sciatica.The problem is that some years ago I had 5 bouts with epiditimitus and a number of ear surgeries and several knee surgeries, and all this has left me very tolerant of pain meds. I need 6-7 10/325 hydrocodone to have the same affect as 1-2 for others,I have been forced to stop cold several times and I have no physical or other withdrawal problems. I am also a 19+yr.member of the 12 step program and do  know a bit about addiction and watch very closely. I have now had a parting of ways with my PCP over this and going to a new one this wed.I have 3! singularly debilitating sources of Pain! I can't live like this, will I ever get the help I need or will fear of the DEA  condemn me.
because of my scoliosis surgery at age 11, i basically started self medicating with narcotics (percocet or lortab) and found them to be the only thing to ever give me any significant amount of relief from my pain. 4 years ago i had a really bad car accident, fractured the 2 vertebrae below the harrington rods, and have since stopped trying to buy the drugs that help and saw my PCP. he wrote me for lortab, just the 7.5s (i had gotten used to the 10s, but i purposefully stopped all meds for a month to bring my tolerance back down). i have been taking them as prescribed, still in pain but tolerating it better, and am getting a 2nd opinion from a neurosurgeon about some of the problems i've been having, March 6th. honestly i don't think that most doctors understand how severe the pain can really get, and how those meds can actually help when it seems like a lot of things don't help at all or make the pain worse. if anything, i understand where you're coming from. i hear that there are drs in florida that prescribe a lot more powerful medication (percocet 30 mg) for people in need.