Degenerative Diseases Community
sick of being sick of the pain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

sick of being sick of the pain...

I havent been able to do any regular work in like 6 years, Ive always had lower back and leg pain, but in 2009 it got bad enough to make me stop working at all. Somettimes I need help getting my socks and stuff on, shoe tying is very difficult. I have been to several doctors, and emergency rooms, and finally 6 months ago got xrays, wich apparently showed scoliosis and degenerative disc disease... how bad I wasnt told, just given some pills and sent home, told to ask for an mri, wich im still waiting for, apparently my insurance doesnt deem it neccessary, wich is staywell in fla. and cant switch till next dec, 2012...  now my doctor says hes not a pain management doc and wants me to see one, but none here take my insurance, (fml) and the closest are in like tampa etc.. so, where can a 46 year old man get help with this pain, and find out what can be done (barring surgery) to improve ... I have constant "popping" it feels like and sharp pain whenever I move, sometimes my gf has to help me to bathroom, ibuprofen does nothing, endomethacin does nothing, as well as all the others theyve tried, I told him I didnt want the "oxys" too many problems here in fla with those... very frustrated on disability, would LOVE to get back on the horse and work!
Tags: Pain
Sorry you have such pain. Makes me think of sciatic neuritis. The pain can be in the back and go to the buttock, leg and foot. This is a tough one if you can't travel to a pain specialist, they could give you a series of injections that help tremendously, if it is sciatic neuritis. I have it and know how painful it is and the shots made a world of difference. That doctor would also be able to give you creams or patches that can be place in the area of the nerve.
The only other option I know of is physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles around the back area and legs to help support your torso properly. I've had this as well and it helped a good deal. You just need to keep up with the exercises that they give you.
Hope you're able to get some help soon, good luck.
I feel yea.  I have sciatic, soft tissue damage along my neck, migraines, and just to top it off I have lower back problems.  A friend referred me to Pain Care Plus they don't take staywell which is what I have too.  But very nice people 200.00 to start and 175 a month.  I know ouch every month I wonder where is the next 175 going to come from.  I'm on so many waiting list with clinics that take staywell I will dead before my number gets called.  But I just called floridapainmanagement.com they might be taking staywell I was told to call back on friday so maybe if not call pain care plus there in brandon tell them lindsey b referred you and it's not just meds they give you they also have massage therapy, TENS units, and some type of injection but I stay away from needles. I hope this helps if anything Pain Care Plus will be quick to get you in to see the dr and if you tell them I referred you, that is 50 off your first visit
I too had insurance that took about 5+ months to finally approve an MRI on my back.  By this time I couldn't stand up straight and literally was SO bent over you would have thought I was over 100 yrs. old.  I was in my late thirties.  The day i had the MRI the neurosurgeon that was looking at it just said "if I didn't HAVE to do a speech now,( it was 7: P.M.), I would do surgery tonight! In the 5 months the pain and resulting immobility had gotten SO bad, that I welcomed the surgery 2 days later. (My dad was SO adamant that I NOT have surgery, his Dad was an invalid for years with back pain, NOT from surgery), but it wasn't elective for me anymore.  I was crying, literally from constant pain.  I had 2 bulging discs causing sciatic nerve pain and no feeling all down my leg, foot and heel. Now, I have had to have an additional surgery, I was better after the first, literally jumped off the table after waking up after 1st surgery, but unfortunately it gradually returned and the next surgery was emergency surgery, I had no movement before surgery.  Now I have degenerative back disease, and,  i DO try to manage it with pain meds, but nerve pain is really hard to help, my pain is is worse in my LEG, and yet there really isn't anything wrong with my leg, it's all referred from my back injury.  I have severe muscle spasms in my leg, that are visible to the naked eye.  I have never found anything to help them, though have recently started magnesium, but don't have results yet. I went through LOTS of epidurals, none did anything, not even temporarily.  I have been told, by lots of pain management Drs. that SOMETIMES the bulging disks will subside within 4 months or so.  They didn't with me, but that is the time limit they kind of rely on.  I know exactly what you mean!  What I wouldn't give to just be able to work, and have the regular pain that people experience.  I have seen it go away, and though rare, it does happen, and i pray this happens with you.  One thing i WILL say, the surgeries were a piece of cake, due to the constant ongoing pain. If i need surgery again, I will always wait until I can't move without it.  The recovery from the surgeries were so easy, really, but I'm not sure if it was just such a relief!  I hope your pain lets up, I pray it does