Degenerative Diseases Community
spinal cord lesions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

spinal cord lesions

I am a 51 year old female. I had surgery on the disc between the c3 and c4 area maybe 6 to 7 yrs. ago due to degenerative bone disease.  I also have had numerous spinal injections for both the cervical and lumbar area.  I worked as a professional in an office postion in education for over 20 yrs and have been very active even with having had surgery and injections.  I was diagnosed in March 2008 with lesions on my spinal cord in the t5 region due to a degenarative disc that slipped into my spinal cord.  I had surgery in April to remove the disc.  Before the surgery I was using a cane due to the damage that was already done.  I just recently got off a walker and I am now using a cane but my body goes through horrible changes with nerve pain and muscle spasms I still have a slight problem with balancing.  I feel like I can even feel the rod in my back.  I am currently disabled although I thought by now I would be doing far more than I am able to do and disability didn't even cross my mind.  The healing process is not as quick as the doctor had anticipated considering it will have been a year in a couple of months since the surgery.  I have to live each day by the day to know what my condition will be on that day.  I am very limited in what I can do and where I can go.  Is this common for damage to the spine and how often have you heard of a disc going into the spine especially in this area?  Although I hear it is uncommon, I still would like to know if you know of anyone else who may have had this happen to them and if they recovered and how the recovery process was?
Prior to your operation in April could you detect or feel  any other lesions,cysts or lymph nodes on your body.