Degenerative Diseases Community
spinal cord lesions
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

spinal cord lesions

I am a 51 year old female. I had surgery on the disc between the c3 and c4 area maybe 6 to 7 yrs. ago due to degenerative bone disease.  I also have had numerous spinal injections for both the cervical and lumbar area.  I worked as a professional in an office postion in education for over 20 yrs and have been very active even with having had surgery and injections.  I was diagnosed in March 2008 with lesions on my spinal cord in the t5 region due to a degenarative disc that slipped into my spinal cord.  I had surgery in April to remove the disc.  Before the surgery I was using a cane due to the damage that was already done.  I just recently got off a walker and I am now using a cane but my body goes through horrible changes with nerve pain and muscle spasms I still have a slight problem with balancing.  I feel like I can even feel the rod in my back.  I am currently disabled although I thought by now I would be doing far more than I am able to do and disability didn't even cross my mind.  The healing process is not as quick as the doctor had anticipated considering it will have been a year in a couple of months since the surgery.  I have to live each day by the day to know what my condition will be on that day.  I am very limited in what I can do and where I can go.  Is this common for damage to the spine and how often have you heard of a disc going into the spine especially in this area?  Although I hear it is uncommon, I still would like to know if you know of anyone else who may have had this happen to them and if they recovered and how the recovery process was?