Dementia Community
Dementia in early age

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Dementia in early age

I found out a while ago that dementia runs in my family, its in my mothers side but its normally in very old age im only 21 yet show a lot of signs

I’ve had a horrible memory since I was a kid. In Primary School I would be asked to get booklets off a teacher in another class I would get to the classroom and forget what I was there for. Right now I cant remember a thing from high school yet im remembering a lot from primary. Its not all long term as I forget about daily needs like hygiene or just simple tasks ive been asked to do.

List of symptoms I have or may have (that are common in dementia):

-There may be a lack of concern, apathy or decreased spontaneity = not sure about this one but it sounds like the same as the social withdraw one.

-Speech and language abnormalities begin early with rapid progression = I would always read  and mix up simple words like with/that/where/there etc (my reading and talking skill has advanced thought as before I couldn’t read a book due to attention)

-Unkempt, may repeat words, some primitive reflexes which are normally absent in individuals may become obvious like grasp, suck and snout = I do forget story’s at any point in them, forget what im talking about or reading and repeat the same thing several times. Also see Twitches bellow.

-Have difficulty in naming common objects or pictures = This is something that is only happening recently where I would forget the name of something

-Problems with keeping personal hygiene = I would get dressed and everything in the morning and feel like im forgetting something to later on find out it was that I haven’t washed that day (I would normally think im missing an item of clothing)

-Might withdraw socially, be unable to emote, empathise or sympathise = My friends and I have a joke that im not human due to what im like I cant really get upset or show emotions when I should be (I do get very upset when its involving animals but that might just be due to cartoons when I was little). I do spend most of my time in my room rather than going out as well.

Random problems I have:

-Twitching in the neck area = have been told its due to having to much energy and no way of it releasing so it turns into the twitches.

- Ive only noticed this recently but im finding it hard to realise the difference between what happened in dreams and real life (Im sure I was banned from my dentist for taking a huff and swearing at them but ive been told I never done that yet it was very vivid and the fact I remember it so well)

- I sometimes have a vivid nightmare and wake up and have hut my boyfriend as if I have just kicked or punched the monster in the nightmare.

Also i dont really tend to see things that arent there if anything its normal like seeing things in the dark or at the corner of your eye.

If you would like to know anything more please just say

Can anyone tell me if it could be?