IS THERE LONG TO GO....?
Hello. Well my grandad has had dementia for over 7 years now, and he is in a nursing home. Being a teenager it was quite difficult for me to cope at home, with the chaos between him and my grandma and mum. He started getting violent and thats when we decided enough was enough. And that he had to go in to the nursing home then because it was getting just too much. That was over 1 year ago. So anyway, instead of telling you a story, all i want to really ask is (if anyone knows...), around about how long might my grandad have till he may pass away. I mean he is now lying in a bed unable to move properly. Isnt able to walk, and sometimes is almost unresponsive (verbally). He is able to talk a bit, crackinga few jokes every now and then, but there are other times where he just stared at the wall and says nothing. How long might he have left?
Nobody can tell you that. I've worked with alzheimers and dementia patients for years and they can be like that, like a vegetable for years. You never know how long they have some people live a few days to a few months, some live for years that way. Its sad to see, but my grandma was like that for seven years, in a nursing home for 12 before she passed. Its hard to deal with but know that he can still hear you and the more he hears his loved ones the more comfortable he will feel, even though he can't respond.
Thanks so much for that. And sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on MH for months. hehehe
Your right, very right... You never know how much longer they have. My grandad past away in late April. I think he set me free in a way, because he was suffering so much I was having almost unbearable daily anxiety, but its gone down now a little. Thanks so much for commenting. :) : )