Dementia Community
Is dementia inevitable
About This Community:

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is dementia inevitable

Three years ago I had an MRI scan for persistent headache.  No cause found but "incidental" finding was "marked frontal lobe atrophy".  I was sixty then.  Neurologist examined and assessed me and said I had absolutely no dementia symptoms and that I was functioning at a high level and better than a lot of others of my age.  Told me to go away and forget it.  Recently had another MRI for twitchy arms and legs and result said "cerebral atrophy".  Don't know if this is the same but expressed differently.  Still no signs of dementia but don't feel quite as sharp and getting rather apathetic about things.  This could be because I am very anxious though.  Is it possible to have brain atrophy with no symptoms and not to develop any either.  I'm probably clutching at straws here because if a neurologist can't give me a prognosis I expect it's a wait and see job!  
Blank
Dear paddiwack,

It seems brain atrophy is a part of getting older and not necessarily getting Alzheimers. My last MRI showed it too.

Also, if you're dehydrayded you're brain will show shrinkage...I guess it's like a sponge.  LOL    I better get that drink.