Dementia Community
Practical Ideas for Coping With Dementia? Any Suggestions?

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

I have dementia that has been determined to be of neurological origin but not progressive. It can cause episodes of cognitive confusion and memory loss that can be of concern. Last night I had to change the Catapres application I am prescribed but I forgot to remove the old application until the morning which is unsafe. Sometimes I forget to keep track of when I am cooking and things like that.
   I applied for a home atttendant a while back but was not found to be eligible. I have discussed potential treatments with my neurologists who are following up. They agree that I should remain where I live in the community which is what I want as well. What I am asking about and even a few tips would help is some is some pragmatic ideas on how to deal with episodes of memory loss and cognitive confusion and how to prevent any errors in judgement they might cause. Thanks.
It may be beneficial to utilize reminder lists and notes with dates and times as a way of keeping track of what would otherwise be routine tasks.  This will give you physical proof that you did or didn't perform your obligations.  It will also be good to keep your brain stimulated with information and challenges to maintain neurological networking to prevent further degradation of these channels.  You will most importantly continue to confer with your neurologist for checkups in order to ascertain whether the dementia is progressing or regressing so that you avoid becoming a danger to your own health.
Best in Health,
JAG
Best in Health,
JAG
You have symptoms of an HERV-W infection. These infections are linked to dementia and psychiatric issues. Dampening down the immune system with prednisone is one way (not a sure way) to perform a differential diagnosis. There are some treatments being evaluated in Europe. See "Discover" magazine and do a google search.