Dementia Community
STATIN CONCERNS

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

STATIN CONCERNS

My brother who has dementia lives with my sister who is his carer. However she does not give him his daily statin as she read in a newspaper that statins cause memory loss. She said his dr agreed he could stop taking them.
I have been looking after him this last week and noticed that the statins are still on his repeat prescription.
As well as Dementia he has a heart condition.#How can I approach his GP with the problem of patient confidentiality
  Yes there may be some times as regards a person's immediate welfare if there can be an over ride of those regulations. In the meantime you probably could inform his doctor even if they could not tell you anything in return. Also speak to the pharmacy that prescribes the medications about this. Its important to know as a fact that this decision was his doctor's and not his sister's decision and that any medications that are being changed and/or discontinued are done so within a strict titration schedule under medical supervision.
You require either a medical proxy or may have to go to court to obtain a limited guardianship in order to control his medications..