Dementia Community
life expectancy for senile dementia patient

Dementia is a descriptive term for a collection of symptoms that can be caused by a number of disorders that affect the brain. While memory loss is a common symptom of dementia, memory loss by itself does not mean that a person has dementia. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Dementia patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Dementia, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

My mother is in end stage dementia, is bedridden and has renal failure and double incontinence,  she has had dementia for about 6 years and has gone downhill rapidly this year having just come out of hospital being she had malnutrition due to not realising she had to eat.  She is 87 years old and is being assessed for a care home place.  I would like to know what is the possible life expectancy for her - would it be better to die in her own home, rather than be shifted out to a care home for assessment and then on somewhere else after that.  What is the likelihood of her living much longer.  I wish she could pass away peacefully at home.
People generally do better living at home with a home attendant regardless of the specific life expectancy. You could find out more about how she could be eligible for home attendant coverage at your local independent living center. Here's a list:
http://www.ilru.org/html/publications/directory/index.html
Hospice care is also extremely good. My mother was in similar position. It became impossible to care for her at home though. She needed nursing care 24/7. After a referral from her doctor she had a place in a hospice, until she was taken into hospital with pneumonia later.
The care at the hospice was very good.
If someone can be with her every day, and you can afford an attendant, being at home is best. It will be rough. Alternatively, there is the hospice.
I found 24/7 care for my mother with dimentia (dementia). She is also using a walker and as of last week is now on oxygen.
I got her out of the nursing home, because she wanted to come home. I have gone through many care givers, but have finally found 2 wonderful woman, that work in shifts. They are great cooks, and my mom still has a great appetite. She does not like one of them, but I am not going to try and match personalities because she is rather difficult and stubborn even with me.
I think you should get a doctors order for 24/7 care. She will do much better in a familiar environment, and you will know you did the best for her. Wouldn't you rather be in your own home?
Good luck. This is not an easy job. Make sure and take some time for yourself.