Dental Health Expert Forum
Pain remains after temporary crown..

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Pain remains after temporary crown..
Hi! A few months ago I had a filling down in the last tooth on the upper right side of my mouth (I believe tooth #2). This went well, but 1-2 days after this filling, I started having a lot of pain in the tooth next to it (#3). It was mostly just extreme sensitivity to cold and anything sweet, worst when I had a drink that was sugary. I went back to the dentist and he removed a rather large filling that had been in the tooth and replaced it.  The filling was so large he had to place pins in the tooth.  Later I was fitted for a temporary crown. The dentist said it might still be painful until the permanent crown is in place.  It was sore for two days, did not hurt for about five days, and then started to hurt again.

The pain is intense, and is pretty much the same as it was before I had the filling replaced.  It hurts to the point that I will have pain up to my cheekbone.  It usually gets better with Advil or if I brush my teeth.  But my main question is, if my problem is due to part of the cavity being exposed, will the permanent crown end this? Both dentists have checked and said I did not have symptoms that suggested I need a root canal, but I just thought the temporary would provide SOME relief.  I can electively choose to get the root canal done, but I don't want to do any procedures I don't need to.

Any advice would be great! Thank you.
I would recommend going back to get it checked out.  The temporary crown may have a problem and that's why you're getting pain.  If there isn't anything wrong with the wrong, it may indicate you need a root canal but your dentist needs to evaluate.