Dental Health Expert Forum
#31 Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

#31 Extraction
I am being advised to have #31 extracted and then replace it with an implant. Unfortunately, I'll need a bone graft and a tissue graft. I can't afford these procedures. What would happen if I delay the extraction? And, If I have the extraction would I be a candidate for a partial?  #1 and #32 were extracted when I was in my 20s.
Depends on the reason on why you need the extraction in the first place.  If its due to a gum disease problem, you could continue to lose more jaw bone and develop an abscess.  If its due to a cavity, the bacteria could travel to the pulp/nerve of the tooth and cause pain and again, potentially an abscess as well.  

A partial may be possible but if you're only replacing one tooth, it wouldn't be the ideal treatment.