Dental Health Expert Forum
5 weeks after wisdom teeth and still a bit of pain?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

5 weeks after wisdom teeth and still a bit of pain?

Hello doctor.

I had all my wisdom teeth removed about five weeks ago and it went well with very little swelling and a pretty fast recovery. However, 5 weeks later, my lower right side still hurts a bit around area of removal if i open my mouth VERY wide...as in as wide as I can open my mouth. It feels a bit "tight" with some pain that is fairly minor. As this only happens when i open my mouth as wide as possible, this causes me no problems and does not effect my life. I can eat, workout etc. fine.

However, I am just wondering if it is something I should be concerned about. What could it be? I'm assuming its nothing?
540545_tn?1377626518
There may be some minor residual swelling in the area after the extraction as it heals up.  Its also possible that that particular area or tooth was more complicated to remove and thus more trauma to the area.

I would contact your oral surgeon and find out if its a cause for concern.  I would imagine it isn't.  It should probably go away but he may recommend some stretching exercises or ice packs, etc.
2 Comments
Blank
I should also note that it does not hurt to touch unless i press hard but that is like all my wisdom teeth extraction sites.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now