5-year-old baby root canal needed
My 5-year-old son has two cavities that have significant decay around them.  They both need baby root canals and caps.  I am so scared for him.  I do not want it to hurt him.  He seems fine with the procedure, but I am worried.  Has anyone else gone through this with their child?
I would not have this done on a five year old.  He is reaching an age where he will start losing his baby teeth, the most I would do is have the two teeth extracted.  Sounds like someone is trying to make some money.
Thanks for your input.  That was my first thought, too.  However, I have two opinions who both say the same thing.  They are back molars and will be in his mouth until 10-12.  The decay is reaching the nerve, so pain is soon to set in.
A few years ago my son had what's called a pulpectomy which is basically a "mini root canal" that is performed on children's primary teeth that they will one day lose anyway.  This had to be done on a top molar due to the tooth abscessing.  My son was absolutely fine once the numbing injection had set in.  He never felt a thing he said except the buzzing and a bit of vibration from the drill which was just more of a sensation really.  He wasn't actually in any pain throughout the procedure because of being totally numb.  It's most likely to be the initial injection that will be the most upsetting but if they do it right they can use the numbing cream on the gums before the injection.  If you've been told that he will most likely have those two back molars for at least another five years, then I would probably say get it done.  He's going to need those molars for chewing with over the next 5-7 years.   It's really not the same as an adult having to endure two root canals on their permanent teeth.....at least that's what I found with my son.  It was over quite quickly and from memory he was probably about 7 years old at the time.