Dental Health Community
5mm pocket

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

5mm pocket

My hygienist told me today that I have a 5mm pocket on my lower right molar. It did hurt a bit when she was probing. The rest of my teeth were in the acceptable range. Being that I haven't had my teeth cleaned in over a year and due to my age (25) they recommended home care. They gave me a gum stimulator and told me to make sure I am brushing my gums well on that side, flossing, and using my waterpick. They hope that on my next visit the pocket will reduce and if not reduced they want to send me to a periodontist. After reading online about this, I'm concerned I should go to a periodontist now. Should I continue with home care and recheck or ask for a referral now?
Tags: 5mm, Teeth, pocket

I would do the home care for now, then go back to your general dentist in six months.
The key is keeping the mouth clean. Make sure you are consistent in brushing and flossing daily. Food left in the mouth creates bacteria, which can irritate or infect the gingiva.

Good oral hygiene should bring the pocket down.

good oral hygiene should help. At your age periodontal disease is not something you shold worry about as long as you are brushing and flossing everyday. im sure your assistant already went through this with you but you need to brush at a 45 degree angle in circular motions in the front and the back and you need to floos all the way up underneith the gingiva (gums) to get any plaque out from under you gum line. do that twice a day and you should never have to see a periodontist. the water pick is nice and feels good on your gums but as long as you brush and floss properly you shouldnt need to use that to often.