Dental Health Expert Forum
6 Months of Pain from inner cheek inside mouth.

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I believe its the arch, feels like a bone/nerve structure that is part of the connector of the Jaw and mouth.

half inch Right above the last back tooth. I'm 24, the top back teeth look to becoming in...

But anyways i felt my other side and its normal. but when i pin pointed the pain it felt like a hard small, small ball.

Doesn't move, isn't mushy. Feels like a hard rock. pain is a lot when touched, when eating you can feel it. I mean it hurts when played with the most. You can not see it. All looks normal, no inflation no discoloration.

Remember, between (center) of the top and bottom back teeth. you have to put your finger deep inside the corner part to find it.

is it a node? is it a duct? whats going on. I am very healthy. Never had any serious medical issues.

I am scared,.
Its hard to say cause I'm not sure exactly what the area is.  Did you strain the muscle in that area at night possibly?  Try some ibuprofen, ice, soft diet and some minor stretching of the area to see if it helps.  If it doesn't seem to get better in a few days, I'd recommend seeing a dentist or oral surgeon and get it evaluated.  

Or its possible your wisdom teeth are coming in and its starting to hurt because of that?
Thank you in advance.
some one told me it might be just an infection of some sort. only hurts when  move it. feels like a joint type of thing as well. little knot where the pain is.
It feels like a muscle. The area is sort of a wall. but that small part at the end feels like a very small knot, bump where the pain is from..

Not when I stretch the area or apply pressure to it it helps relive me for a bit.

Yes wisdom teeth from the top are looking to come in. When i was a child they told me i never had them. But i see them now. A dental hygienist told me that she can see them coming out that's why i am getting this pain.

hopefully its nothing. im always afraid of medical issues.

I'm sorry.  Not when you stretch?  You mean when you stretch and push on it?  

Is the pain in the same area as where the wisdom teeth are coming in?  

Or is the pain/problem area different from the wisdom teeth site?
The pain is from the same side where the wisdom teeth are coming in.

The pain is always in the same location. The pain is not spread out. It's more of a pin point. Located at a muscle/arch/nerve that if you put your finger in the corner of your mouth you can feel it naturally.

The pain is located at the end of the arch/column.

thank you doc for replying to my questions . please let me know what u think.
when i don't think about it nor mess with it. It feels just fine...
Sorry having a hard time imagining exactly where the site is.  If its where the wisdom tooth is suppose to come in, it may be "teething" pain.  

If its not where the wisdom tooth is, I'm starting to think maybe the TMJ area?  If that's the case, you may need to see someone to get it checked out.  But that area would hurt and you could probably feel it outside on your face about where your ear is
Sorry Dr. Tsang. Thank you for replying.

The weird thing I have noticed is that the area where that "knot" lymph node feeling feels like it has moved up that "muscle arch" where the pain is located.

You can feel the area from outside your face. if you place your Index finger about two inches across from your ear to the corner part of your face where the upper jaw and lower jaw meet. That is where the pain is from. Inside, maybe inflammation of some sort. I mean ive had this issue for six months now, I'm getting used to it. But I hope its nothing serious. I am really afraid.

It may be that the wisdom tooth is coming out and the pain you are feeling is when you push down on the cheek area near the wisdom tooth.  Try to push the area from inside the cheek and squeeze from the outside and see if you can isolate it away from your wisdom tooth.  If you can feel it from both inside the cheek and outside away from the wisdom tooth, then its somewhere in the tissue area.

Again, I would recommend seeing a dentist, oral surgeon or even your regular primary care physician
Dr. I went to get my teeth cleaned. I showed that right side of the pain. She refereed me to a specials. A Oral Surgeon. But I went to research it, I think it might be a Torus mandibularis?  I dont know, hopefully its nothing major.

I placed my finger around the area it feels like a bone or tooth? Not round like a tumor or anything.
Have u ever seen anything like this. I hope its not cancer or anything. She did say ive never had my molars or teeth that usually come out at 12 years old. Ive never had teeth pulled out either.

Maybe its a bone, tooth, muscle? she placed two of her fingers on both sides.
The side with the pain was abnormal due to that part in the jaw area.
Exostosis??
Sorry.  Not to worry you further but an exostosis usually doesn't hurt.  While the area is a little more sensitive due to thinner tissue on top of the bone, it shouldn't hurt upon just touching.
Oh wow. Yes thank you doctor. Im just puzzled, I feel Like im the only person whose ever had this issue. It feels like a pointy bone or tooth but i dont understand how it come out sideways if its a tooth. Hopefully i can make it to an appointment this week
Cornoid area. Temporal mandible area. Doctor so do you have any ideas of what it maybe. I know that you cant tell from just words without seeing it yourself.
And this spot is on the jawbone or more towards the inner part of the ear?  If its in the jawbone, maybe a wisdom tooth.  Its hard to say what it is.  Sorry.
It is more towards the inner part of the ear.

This part of the mouth i believe where the spot is, is in charge of opening and closing the mouth.
Also doctor I noticed I cant "pop" my jaw on my right side anymore where the issue is located. I can only do it on my left side. The right side doesn't make a sound or anything. Just thought that might mean something.
You know Doc, Does my issue sound more like a Abscess? Would it last for so many months now. been since march
Probably not an abscess.  It sounds like you may have a TMJ problem.  Any pain when opening and closing?  There may be some inflammation in your joint that's causing a knot feeling and pain on pushing.  It could also be a muscle around the joint that's tender and knotted up as well
It hurts when i eat on that side. It feels like inflammation, feels like a dislocation, or fracture of some sort. It only hurts when there is pressure on the "knot" part. But Doctor, What do you think I can do to reduce this feeling that's been with me since March.

It does seem to be a joint area most likely.

It hurts a lot when I shift my Jaw to a downward position to the left. Putting pressure on that area it seems.
Is your bite off?  If your bite feels off (as in the teeth line up weirdly), it could indicate a dislocated jaw or a fractured jaw since it'd have to be quite a bit of damage to mess up your alignment of teeth.  If your bite feels pretty normal overall but it hurts, it may just be an injury to the joint which would require a softer diet, some stretching exercises, pain/anti-inflammatory medication, rest, etc.
My bite isn't off. but I am Hoping its nothing serious. I have an appointment tomorrow with a oral surgeon. Hopefully a panoramic x-ray will help. I will keep you updated.
I think that its a joint or muscle problem.  I hope that its nothing serious and that it turns out some home care and some anti-inflammatory medication will do it.
Doctor he said bony abnormality . Cornoid process, hypertrophy vertical madibal.

He said its not serious. what do you think doctor.
I mean will it go away. Have you seen this before?
Also Doctor I have images of the CT Scan of the area. Anyway I can email them to you? my email is ***@**** I would greatly appreciate it.
I don't really treat the joints so I'm not 100% sure what it is.  It sounds like its just extra growth in the coronoid process.  But does it have anything to do with your pain or symptoms?  And what is the long term treatment or plan for the area?

As for the bone itself, I don't think it would go away on its own.  It sounds like the bone is just growing slightly more than the other.  It doesn't mean it'll continue to grow or worsen but it may not go away either.  That's why I wonder what the long term goal is.
Yes at the coronoid process. The growth is where the actual pain is located at. Not even the surrounding area, just the one spot. He said he can cut it down, like a shave. Do you think i will be okay? Like i hope i dont get cancer or anything. Thanks doctor. The doctor said you can either just live with it because youve gotton so used to it after 6 months. Does our jaw grow or change as we get older? Im 24, just turned it in july.
I'm not much of an expert on the jaw but I would say that changes occur in your body all the time over time.  So the growth could progressively worsen.  Did he have a stronger recommendation in regards to the joint?  What were the possible risks of surgery versus risks of leaving it alone?
he said i can just live with or get it shaved (cut). That it was up to me. That because i was so used to it for six months that it was up to me. I wish that bony abnormality would go away on its own lol
Ya... I just wonder what the risks of surgery are.  If they are pretty high, then maybe better to wait it out.
Do you know if boney growth can go away or is that not possible? what is a boney hard growth? is it a bone such as may have in your arm?
So i checked out the CT scan CD they gave me. I played through it. I saw the cornoid process, right under it there was this abnormal piece which is most likely the cause of my pain. I hope its not a tumor or anything. its dark spot on the surface of the jaw bone which is white.
You could possibly take your CT scan and get a second opinion on the matter.  It probably won't go away on its own.  Yes, the bone in your jaw should be the bone as the bone in your arm, in general.  
He took it out. He said it looked most likely like a osteophytes. IT was a pebble size white stone thing. Is this a bad thing? it was on the mandible center of the ramus under the cornoid process. It will go for a biopsy. What do you think doc?
The biopsy report will be the best indicator of any problems for that bone.  Hopefully nothing serious but I honestly won't know either until the biopsy report is back.  I would guess that the biopsy may be just routine to make sure its nothing more serious versus the doctor feeling that there may be something wrong and sending it for a biopsy? But just a guess.
yes hopefully nothing serious. Yes i hope the biopsy is routine and not because hes worried of something.