Dental Health Community
9 extractions today and immediate denture put in having trouble eating ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

9 extractions today and immediate denture put in having trouble eating

I had 9 extractions on my upper teeth and an immediate denture put in.  Not really any pain and the oozing has finally stopped but it feels so thick on the palate and I can't swallow anything but liquids .  Is this normal.  the denture is staying in place but it feels so full on my palate I don't feel like I will ever be able to eat anything but liquids.  Anyone with this experience
I honestly can relate to what you say.  I had a partial for my four top front teeth and it felt like someone had stuffed a baseball glove in my mouth!  It really felt like I would never be able to eat or speak properly ever again.

First, the surgical swelling has to come down and then your mouth will slowly adjust to having something inside it besides your own teeth and tongue.  The mouth can feel changes of as little as a single mm so having a large denture placed is certainly foreign to it.  But, you will get used to it.  

I think it took me about three weeks before I could actually say there was a moment in time where I forgot I had a denture.  I thought that was pretty good, too!

Hang in there.  It will happen.  In the meantime, follow your oral hygiene program and eat soft foods until your mouth adjusts some.  I found ravioli was my best friend!  LOL

Good luck and let us know how you do.
My best to you,
Gellia