Dental Health Community
A dental problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

A dental problem

Alright, here is the deal. About 3-4 years ago, I had a root canal done on a molar and had a metal cap place on it. Now since that time for about the first year or so the gum would inflame and then rupture with stuff. Now it's been happening much more frequent and the gum on the frontside is eroding away. I know people are probably like why didnt you get something done right away. The deal was my dental insurance ran out shortly after the procedure was done. I am 21, and I am going to get it taken care of regardless of price, i would just like to have a idea of what it is and if perhaps there was a malpractice on my dentists part. thank you.
sounds like either gum disease or an allergy to the metal in the grown. if gum recession is now involved i would get to the dentist asap. doesnt sound like its the dentists fault but since you waited so long it would be impossible to prove malpractice. plus if you had went back the first time there was a problem it might have just needed a simple fix at little or no charge.
It sounds to me like an ill fitting crown. Sometimes when the crown is made the dentist (if it's an in office stainless steel crown) or the lab technician made the margins too long and the crown has gone too far into your gums, and like a splinter, your body has created swelling to get rid of the foreign object. That very well may not be the case, but it is just a suggestion.