Dental Health Community
A dentist put my post in sideways and into my gums!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

First time/ post here :).

7 years ago I got #7 and 8 teeth crowned. The #8 had a post put in it as well. The crowns were brownish and ugly and the Dentist filed down my two good teeth next to the fronts without discussing it. The procedure on my # 8 was extremely painful. It left me in pain, even when I was numb.

About a day later a bump appeared above the #8, the Dentist said I needed to go to an Endodontist. The Endodontist said I'd need exploratory surgery, which could leave my gums a mess. Nothing on the X-ray showed a crack or anything. They assumed it was cracked. I was told I probably needed my tooth pulled. I was scared to lose my tooth and hoped it would heal on it's own. I was also broke.

7 years later, two days ago, I got a 3D scan on the tooth. In your face surgery! It showed in perfect view that the post, which 2 Dentists and this new Endodontist have said I didn't need and still won't , was not only put in sideways but sticking out into my gums. Which is what the infected bump is. There is some bone loss but I guess not too bad.

The Endodontist says he can possibly fix my tooth 50 to 60% chance. He would pull the post out and fill the tooth. Not post will be added because I didn't need one! If it fails, won't heal, I'll need an implant.

Is there anyway I could get the Dentist who messed up the unneeded post. Can,should I sue? Is it too late? Should I at least report him. Should I bother spending money I don't have on a tooth that I might lose? I don't want to lose my front tooth and this is all so much money. An implant is like $6,000. This doesn't seem fair. Sick of having pain though. Help :(
I meant get the dentist to help pay money to me so I can fix my tooth. Not "get him". Geez, should've proof read that better :/