Dental Health Community
A piece of Front tooth randomly broke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

A piece of Front tooth randomly broke

I was sitting on the computer, then I felt a dust sensation in my mouth, then a small piece. So I instantly freaked out and spat a piece of tooth. When I felt one of my front tooth with my tongue, it felt very rough and I knew there was a piece missing. A piece of my front tooth's back was missing a long with a bit of the top part.

I want to know what could cause this, and if Im going to loose more parts of that tooth.

I do not suffer cavities and my teeth are almost perfectly a lined. People tell me I have perfect teeth, but after this I don't think so :( . I'm 20 years old and I take good care of my teeth and I also drink a lot of milk, twice a day.

I also noticed that the tooth next to it looks like its pushing that tooth to the front a bit, could that be a cause too?

thank you.
If it is the tooth that broke, you need to get to a dentist ASAP.  If the enamel came off, the dentin is exposed and the nerve will soon be affected.  

Right now your dentist can perhaps fix it with bonding.  Or, you made need a crown, but leaving it is a sure way to wind up with a root canal or tooth loss.

Please make an appt with your dentist and have it properly evaluated.

Best to you and let us know how you do.
Gellia
There is a good possibility that what chipped off is a piece of gumline plaque.  It can feel and look exactly like a broken tooth.  It's unlikely a tooth would chip at the gumline like that as they are smooth all the way down the root.  

You do need to get to a dentist and have it checked out either way.  If it's a chipped tooth, taking care of it now will save alot of problems with that tooth for later, and more importantly, if it's a piece of plaque you need to have a thorough cleaning and scaling to remove it near the gumline so you can avoid gingivitis problems in the future.

Try not to worry, but do get to a dentist.

Best to you,
Gellia
Go see your dentist for an xray.
Thanks for the responses, but I highly doubt its a gumline plaque, because its not near the bottom, and looking at it closely you can see a piece of the top part along with the back its what came off.

Best to you and let us know how you do.
Gellia