Dental Health Community
Abcessed tooth or sinus ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Abcessed tooth or sinus ?

My problem first started 3months ago, I had a shooting pain in my upper jaw near my last molar, that has a bridge attached.The pain lasted 2days then went away as fast as it had started.A few days later I noticed a small swelling slightly away from the last upper molar towards my jaw. still I didn't have it checked as it was only tender if I touched it.Then 2 weeks ago my hearing went funny,it was like I was under water and I couldn't clear it.I went to the doctors who started me on amoxicillin 7 day course.I was not in pain from the tooth.On the 3full day of antibiotics I woke up with a very swollen face and sore jaw. I went to the emergency room as I thought it was more a sinus problem.The doctor said it was a periodental abcess (abscess) and took me off the augmentin and started me on Klacid 500 for 5 days. I did go to the dentist 3days into the course. The swelling had subsided but the gum area in my upper gum was still sore to touch.The dentist said he saw no sign of an abcess (abscess) and wants me to have an X-ray when I finish the antibiotics. Now I'm totally confused.I have now finished the antibiotics, my gum still feels tender, the swelling has gone but I still have slight intermittent pain in my ear the same side as the sore gum. I have a really bad dental phobia,I'm not sure how I'll be if the have to remove my bridge. I would be so grateful for some advice as I don't know wheather to see a dentist again or a ENT doctor.