Dental Health Community
Abcessed tooth pulled

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Abcessed tooth pulled

I started having pain near my right TMJ  on a Wednesday (I have had two previous TMJ surgeries on the left side). On Thursday I went to my dentist to rule out a tooth problem (it will be 7 weeks before I can see the oral surgeon). X-rays were taken and nothing appeared to be wrong with my teeth. My dentist made me an orthotic to try and take some pressure off of the jaw.
On Friday I woke up to a horrible tooth ache (2nd premolar on the top right). But because the x-rays showed nothing I figured it was my TMJ.
On Saturday I woke up to major swelling from the mid nose to jaw line on the right side of my face; and the tooth was hurting worse. I began taking antibiotics; rinsing with salt water and putting ora-gel on the gums to try and reduce the pain.
By Sunday I knew something more was wrong than my TMJ.
I went to the dentist on Monday (yesterday) and he saw how swollen the right side of my face was. He retook x-rays and it now showed a problem with the tooth. He attempted to do a root canal but it was just too bad to continue so we both decided that pulling the tooth was the best option. Removing the tooth was very, very painful and after it came out he had to dig in the socket to remove three tips that broke off.
It is now the day after the tooth removal and the swelling of my cheek is still the same and it is painful to the touch.
Do I need to have this drained? My dentist told me that removing the tooth would remove the abcess (abscess). Since it is only one day (actually 15 hours) since the removal should I give it time? And how much time for the selling and pain to go away?