Dental Health Community
Adjacent tooth pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Adjacent tooth pain

May 30th I had a crown put on molar #18 because old filling had cracks. Began having pain in that tooth and the two in front of it. Got talked into a root canal on June 14 and had even worse pain that also radiated into other teeth. Had extraction of #18 by oral surgeon on July 26. Extraction site has healed nicely, but still having twinges and occasional mild aching in adjacent teeth. The one directly in front of extraction I believe is a crown. There is a thin red rim right at the base of that tooth in the front with a little grayish color under that. I don't believe there is any infection. I had to take pre meds before extraction and the surgeon said he would examine the tooth after extracting it and give me more antibiotics if indicated (which he did not). Is a little residual soreness in adjacent teeth normal after two weeks? I was given a ten day course of antibiotics twice prior to the extraction by my regular dentist as it was and I'm not even sure it was necessary. The oral surgeon said I was having "referred pain" from molar 18 and would disappear with the extraction.
Tags: molar extraction, extraction, extractionaching
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The exact cause of your symptoms can be determined only after a dental examination. If there is any symptom or sign suggestive of infection antibiotics are indicated. You may need anti-inflammatory medications to decrease the pain and swelling. A mild pain after tooth extraction is normal. Surgical tooth extractions are usually more painful. The duration and intensity of pain after a tooth extraction depends on the difficulty of the extraction. Clarify your concerns with your dentist. Hope it helps.
Best luck and kind regards!