Adult Tooth (Premolar - Probable Loss)
   I'm a college student just applying for dental insurance. Unfortunately it won't start until the first of next month (~3 weeks) so I have a problem. Currently I have an extremely loose adult tooth. I didn't notice until now that it was very weak and has been chipping away as I bite/chew my food. It is 2 teeth back from my left canine. Today there is about half of it left and I think I could easily pull it out I'm just not sure if I should. There is a dull ache in my gums above the root of the tooth and on the exact same spot on the other side (those teeth are not loose and seem fine though). I don't know what could have caused this and am looking for immediate help. Thanks so much.
Hi there,
The commonest cause of loose tooth is periodontitis which is inflammation and infection of the ligaments and bones that support the teeth. Looseness of teeth can also be caused by secondary trauma, as a result of bacterial plaque-induced periodontal disease.Treatment involves treating the cause and saving the tooth if possible. If the tooth has been fractured by any injury, the dentist may perform a root canal to prevent infection and then treat the loose tooth. See a dentist for opinion. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best wishes and kind regards!