Dental Health Community
Allergic to new bridge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Allergic to new bridge?

My wife had a porcelain bridge placed in August '08. Upper front teeth. She's been having allergic type reactions since then. Her upper gums swell and she complains of a burning sensation along with a "fizzy" feeling in her mouth. The reactions are random and don't appear to be connected with eating. She's been taking Benadryl, and that helps. Her dentist can't explain it. The temporary bridge she wore gave her no trouble.
The permanent bridge was put in place with a temporary cement that, within hours, caused her gums to swell and raised little sores throughout her mouth and the inside of her lips. Her dentists' office was closed the following day, but she was able to see the dentist that did her root canals prior to the bridge work. (these dentists work together)
There was nothing he could do, but thought she might be allergic to the bridge.
Upon seeing her original dentist, he switched to a different type of cement, which helped, but she still has reactions.
So, is it the cement, or the metal in the bridge that's causing the problem?
The metal alloy in the bridge is called "Sign 59". She wore a bridge prior to this for many years with no problems.
Her concern is that something other than "Sign 59" was actually used to make the bridge. I would like to have the bridge tested, but the temp/permanent cement the dentist used won't allow that. He has tried to remove the bridge but is afraid to force it for fear of breaking it. I'm not sure whether to believe him or not.
Thanks for any thoughts.
from my experiences with dentists, you better start your complaint early or you will be left in the cold with alot of lies from every dentist you go to.  Beleive me I am going througth it right now regarding two crowns and it isn't a fun thing.

Start with your local dental society and then go from there, statute of limitations in your state you might want to find out also.   Everybody makes mistakes, but why should the patient be the one who has to double pay to have the work done right.  

If you have a good dentist he will do the work over right, if not and you are forced to go to someone else you better start the process early to get your money back if you don't want to pay twice for the same work like I am having to do right now so far.
Common allergic agent contained in the dental material are eugenol, which is common ingredient of temporary cement, and nickel, which is a common ingredient of base metal of porcelain fused to metal. Your wife 's trouble appears to be allergic reaction to dental material. An immunologist may help confirm the diagnosis.
I had a bridge put in last summer. Since then I have had sinus troubles and difficulty breathing at times. sometimes my face feels swollen but doesnt look swollen. I have not been able to breath through my nose since. Constantly had sinus pressure and often a runny nose but no other flu or cold like symptoms with the exception of a headache. In addition, my son has reported that I snore more lately when I sleep. I have often wondered if I am allergic to the metals in the bridge. I do have a history of allergies to metals from jewelry and can not have any metals against my skin for any period of time.