Dental Health Expert Forum
Alternatives to brushing

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Alternatives to brushing
Are there any alternatives to brushing teeth? Could you just use a mouthwash to kill the bacteria? I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I'm trying to find some alternatives to getting my teeth clean without involving my wrists.
I would suggest you purchase a electric rotary brush. There are many on the market that certainly could help you. I would try to use interproximal brushes if possible. There are also floss holders that you might be able to use. Mouthwashes are good but I wouldn't count on them for replacing the need for brushing and flossing. I think the suggestions I gave you will help.
no alternatives. plaque needs to be mechanically removed.
you could use a battery operated tb. you pretty much just hold it and let it work. it isnt as good as doing it yourself but rinsing alone will get you fresh breath for the moment untill the cavities come. sorry
When the plaque attaches to the tooth, it becomes very sticky and needs manual debridement. Mouthwash will not remove the bacterial plaque. I agree, an electric toothbrush is your best option because it moves for you so you don't have to move the brush as much.