Dental Health Expert Forum
Amoxicillin and Dental Procedures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Amoxicillin and Dental Procedures

I typically take 2 grams of amoxicillin before all dental procedures (and some medical ones, too) due to Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgition and a PFO in the heart.

I am currently taking a round of amoxicillin for another problem (strep throat, 2 pills twice a day for 10 days.) These will be finished on this Friday.

I postponed my regularly scheduled teeth cleaning/check-up, because it was only a few weeks away. I re-scheduled it for one month from the end of this amoxicillin treatment.

Is that sufficient time in-between antibiotic courses for the amoxicillin to be effective again for dental prophylaxis? If not, what do you suggest as a good time to refrain from these antibiotics if such a situation arises again before a scheduled dental procedure? I can easily re-reschedule if you feel I should wait even longer. I tolerate amoxicilin very well so I'd like to continue using it before my bi-annual dental trips...

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not think that is a problem at all. I do not think you need to wait either--you need a high level of the antibiotic in your blood stream for the effectiveness--It not negate the efficacy if you are on the meds before hand, but you need to get that spike in your blood before the procedure.
I once called the American Heart Assn about this issue. I was told that if a patient is already on an extended Amox regimen, they are considered premedicated for dental care. However, the question ideally needs to be asked of your cardiologist. Despite the AHA protocols, cardiologists sometimes differ in what they want ther patients to do prophylactically.