Dental Health Expert Forum
Amoxicillin and Dental Procedures
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Amoxicillin and Dental Procedures

I typically take 2 grams of amoxicillin before all dental procedures (and some medical ones, too) due to Mitral Valve Prolapse with regurgition and a PFO in the heart.

I am currently taking a round of amoxicillin for another problem (strep throat, 2 pills twice a day for 10 days.) These will be finished on this Friday.

I postponed my regularly scheduled teeth cleaning/check-up, because it was only a few weeks away. I re-scheduled it for one month from the end of this amoxicillin treatment.

Is that sufficient time in-between antibiotic courses for the amoxicillin to be effective again for dental prophylaxis? If not, what do you suggest as a good time to refrain from these antibiotics if such a situation arises again before a scheduled dental procedure? I can easily re-reschedule if you feel I should wait even longer. I tolerate amoxicilin very well so I'd like to continue using it before my bi-annual dental trips...

Thanks!