Dental Health Expert Forum
Antibiotics and Infections

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Antibiotics and Infections

Hi there,
I had my left wisdom tooth extracted 4 days ago. My cheek is still very swollen and the swelling has spread right across under my chin. There's an area on my cheek thats quite hard when touched and painful. Still finding it difficult to open my mouth and my gums also seem to be aching off and on. Could this be an infection? Spoke to GP via phone and he precribed antibiotics with penicillin which I started taking today and wondering how long it will take for some ease to take effect? And when to expect the swelling to disappear?
Thanks in advance!
It'll probably take another day or so to get the swelling down.  If it doesn't improve within 3 days of starting antibiotics, I would call your dentist to let him know to switch to another.  If the swelling worsens severely, I would also notify your dentist or go to the ER.
Thank you so much for your reply. Well I'm taking the antibiotics and trying to be patient. I keep looking in the mirror to see if there's any change to the swelling - none. My cheek, under chin are still hard with a slightly puffy neck!!
Just wondering, how exactly does the antibiotic get rid of the infection? What are the different stages of the procedure? for e.g. will i feel pressure in the swelling area before it starts to shrink? I'm just trying to be on the look out as I'm alittle nervous.

Thanks in advance.
How are you feeling today?  It should start subsiding about now.  The swelling should be down a bit after about 3 days of antibiotics.  

Antibiotics work differently but it basically inhibits the bacteria in some way of growing and allows your body to destroy it or it kills the bacteria itself.  
Thank you for replying. I am still feeling quite sore and swollen on cheeks and under my chin area. My neck is not swollen but its alittle tender. All swollen areas are firm to touch and quite hot.
So went to A&E this evening, they told me it was an abscess so was prescribed another antibiotic (Metronidazole) to use with the current one I am on (Co-amoxiclav).
I am so anxious at the moment and feeling some-what scared. Do you think it will clear it up sharpish now that I am on both antibiotics? Just need a second opinion.
Thanks in advance!
I would think so.  Perhaps the first antibiotic isn't working as well so now they prescribed another.  Hopefully the bacteria is less resistant to this one and things should improve.  Give it another day or two.  As long as its stable or improves, you should be fine til you see your dentist.
Okay thanks. I will see how it goes and also keep you posted! You have been really helpful.

Kind Regards!