Dental Health Expert Forum
Antibiotics and tooth decay/cavity
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Antibiotics and tooth decay/cavity

I am afraid of dentists (long but valid story). I had an intense toothache caused by a  broken tooth (half the tooth remains the broken area is at the gum line) and was gradually preparing to visit a  dentist. but then i suffered a sudden and intense ear infection. I went to the er and received several iv's of antibiotics and was given a  script for 1000 mg of amoxicillin per day (4 doses of 250) for 3 weeks. my tooth stopped hurting about 2 weeks into the prescription and it has not hurt for 5 weeks now. Did the antibiotics kill the bacteria causing the  tooth pain? i assume the pain will return but i am curious how this could have happened. thank you.