Dental Health Expert Forum
Antibiotics and tooth decay/cavity

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Antibiotics and tooth decay/cavity

I am afraid of dentists (long but valid story). I had an intense toothache caused by a  broken tooth (half the tooth remains the broken area is at the gum line) and was gradually preparing to visit a  dentist. but then i suffered a sudden and intense ear infection. I went to the er and received several iv's of antibiotics and was given a  script for 1000 mg of amoxicillin per day (4 doses of 250) for 3 weeks. my tooth stopped hurting about 2 weeks into the prescription and it has not hurt for 5 weeks now. Did the antibiotics kill the bacteria causing the  tooth pain? i assume the pain will return but i am curious how this could have happened. thank you.
  • toothaches (1 replies):
    i experienced a very painful toothache one day.. i cant ...[more]
The nerve inside the tooth is most likely dead.  That's why you don't feel anything.  The bacteria inside your tooth will continue to spread and could potentially create an abscess.  You should see a dentist as soon as possible.