Dental Health Community
Anxious about my ongoing permanent dental bridge procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have just been through my first permanent dental bridge session for my lowering teeth. During his prepping my "anchor" teeth for dental bridge placement, my dentist found 2 of my teeth were abscessed and required emergency root canals,which he immediately performed. After this, his assistant worked on and installed my temporary crown. Since, my mouth was still completely numb from the Novocain injections I was unable to feel the temporary crown. Later, after I got home I began to feel an uncomfortable ridge inside my mouth and that night my tongue found a very sharp point on side where the root canals were done. Finally, my question about this is...is this a normal thing to have these areas of discomfort with a temporary crown?  I'm not getting my permanent bridge until 2 weeks. Could someone tell me if that should be more comfortable then. I'm also hoping the permanent bridge will have a better appearance than this temporary crown. If anyone knows about that area. Big Thanks for any help given on these matters.
Tags: Dental bridge procedure, Dental, anxious, procedure, question
This is all very odd.  Novacaine will not numb an abcessed tooth, and an abcess (abscess) is caused by infection and antibiotics should have been his first course of action.  He should have xrayed the anchor teeth prior to starting anything and he would have seen any abcess (abscess)/infection "if" it was there.  Sounds like he found a way to make a quick buck to me!  My temporary bridges looked good, and if your feeling something sharp and are in pain call your dentist and let him know.  It sounds like the crowns are too long. Call your dentist and go from there.  Take care.
Thank you for your response to my question. I made the mistake in my original question of saying this was my "first' permanent bridge session. Actually, some weeks earlier in my real "first" session with him, my dentist took preliminary xrays of the anchor teeth.  In the second session, (the one my question referred to) he used Nitrous-Oxide and Novocain, prior to performing the RCs, because it was his original intention to prepare my teeth for the placement of a lower bridge. It was then, during this preparatory session, that the teeth abscesses "came to light".  Also, it turns out that what caused my discomfort/pain problems was the Dental assistant or tech did not allow the cement to dry well enough and did not do a good enough job "finishing up" or cleaning/smoothing the excess cement on the back of some of my teeth. Because of it not being allowed to set right, the crown (entirely) came off 3 nights later.  They replaced it Yesterday. This time a different technician did the work. Finally, this time it seems (knock on wood) smoother and relatively more comfortable.