Dental Health Community
Apicectomy v Implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Apicectomy v Implant

I had root treatment to an upper premolar years ago. When I changed dentist they took a load more films and discovered that the root treatment had caused a perforation. This has caused me no symptoms. There is quite a large filling in the tooth and recently part of the tooth cracked off and has and new surface part added. It functions fine and gives me no symptoms. I saw an endodontist recently for root treatment on another tooth and he said he could do an apicectomy rather than extraction and implant. Can you give me advice about the advantages and disadvantages of each. What happens if the apicectomy fails. Do I live with a crown over the apicectomy? If I opt for an implant, what is the best method of doing this - immediate v delayed placement. What happens if the implant doesn't graft?

I hope this isn't too many questions related to a subject, but would be most grateful for advice. Thanks.