Dental Health Expert Forum
Baby tooth decay for a 2 year old

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Baby tooth decay for a 2 year old
Hello Doctor,
My son is 2 years old and has a severe tooth decay.Night time baby bottle and breastfeeding can make this happen,it is so hard to believe.
My dentist suggests general anesthesia to to extract 2 teeths(Lateral Incisors )and put caps on front two (Central Incisors )
I am scared and worried.Is there any way to avoid general anesthesia and extraction.If not extracted the dentist say it could cause damage in permanent teeth.
Please suggest a worried mom how to confront this issue.
I would recommend extraction as well for these problem baby teeth.  If the decay is severe, it is best to remove them before they become problematic for the adult teeth.  I use to work as a resident in a hospital and performed dentistry including extractions on chlidren under general anesthesia.  It is a safe procedure and provides necessary care for your child and allows the dentist to get the work done without worrying about the cooperation of your child.  That is not to say there isn't any risk involved which is your concern.  You should discuss the aspects of general anesthesia with the anesthesiologist too.  Its important to be as informed about your decision as possible.

Hope that helps.