Dental Health Expert Forum
Baby tooth decay for a 2 year old
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Baby tooth decay for a 2 year old

Hello Doctor,
My son is 2 years old and has a severe tooth decay.Night time baby bottle and breastfeeding can make this happen,it is so hard to believe.
My dentist suggests general anesthesia to to extract 2 teeths(Lateral Incisors )and put caps on front two (Central Incisors )
I am scared and worried.Is there any way to avoid general anesthesia and extraction.If not extracted the dentist say it could cause damage in permanent teeth.
Please suggest a worried mom how to confront this issue.
Related Discussions
540545_tn?1377626518
I would recommend extraction as well for these problem baby teeth.  If the decay is severe, it is best to remove them before they become problematic for the adult teeth.  I use to work as a resident in a hospital and performed dentistry including extractions on chlidren under general anesthesia.  It is a safe procedure and provides necessary care for your child and allows the dentist to get the work done without worrying about the cooperation of your child.  That is not to say there isn't any risk involved which is your concern.  You should discuss the aspects of general anesthesia with the anesthesiologist too.  Its important to be as informed about your decision as possible.

Hope that helps.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker