Bad Breath from crown
I have recently been experiencing a foul smell from a crown that was placed about a year ago. I told the dentist and of course the first word out their mouth was that there is nothing wrong with the crown. I was told that the gum area needs to be treated. I told the dentist that maybe the crown needs to be removed and cleaned out. She told me I need to see a gum specialist before she remove the crown. Well, the smell was driving me nuts. I decided to take matters into my hand and I yank the crown out. The smell that came out almost knock me out, but after brushing and rising the smell disappeared. But now my only problem is that I have a gap between tooth 4 and 6. That’s all right because now the dentist has no choice but to put a new one. There should be a guarantee on the workmanship and the product, heck we are paying over 700 dollars.

I, too, had a problem with a crown that produced a foul smelling odor. When I told my dentist he told me that the crown was fine but I knew that it wasn't because people would step back when they talked to me. I went back to the dentist and insisted that he remove the crown because it was affecting me psychologically and it was. So, he did. The tooth had actually rotted underneath the crown so I had him to extract the tooth. Things were much better but now I have a cracked tooth with a filling and there is bacteria building up because that awful smell is back. My new dentist wants to put a crown on it but I won't let him because of the last incident. So I may have to let this tooth go as well.
Hi, I had the very same problem, I complained of the smell almost immediately (the next day). I was told the cement they use produces that odor. However, I would occasionally have really bad breath and I floss after every meal/snack because I have food traps. So, the point is, I was flossing and for the second time the crown popped off and the smell was from the crown. There was decayed tooth inside I think, I cleaned it and it still smells. I think some kind of chemical reaction with the metal is happening or something. Just a guess - but I'm getting to the bottom of this. I may just leave it off.
Odor is coming from the food that is trapped underneath the crown.  I use toothbrush brand name is "gum butler toothbrush"  that has a rubber pointy tip that can clean food trapped between gum and crown
The full name of the toothbrush is Butler gum classic toothbrush. .the link is here : http://www.just4teeth.com/Butler-GUM-Classic-Toothbrush-Full-Soft-411