Dental Health Expert Forum
Badly broken molar. Abcess(abscess)?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Badly broken molar. Abcess?
I have a badly broken molar in the back of mouth. I know that it needs treatment, but I just recently lost my insurance so I have to fight with them to get it back before I can do anything.

My problem is this. Tonight, my jaw on that side started to swell. Weird thing is that all the pain associated with the molar itself is gone (no more throbbing, or sharp shooting pains when I eat), but my jaw is obviously swollen on that side and feels like someone punched me. Is this an abcess and if so, are there over the counter antibiotics that I can take for the time being to treat it until my fight with my insurance company is over?
I don't know how long the fight with the insurance company is going to last but antibiotics could hold you over temporarily for a week or more.  You would need to see a dentist or physician to get a prescription though.