Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding Gums After Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

One of my wisdom tooth was pulled out on Tuesday, I felt an ache in the area which I believed was the normal healing process. After researching I am little concern about the side of extraction. The gums in front of the extraction (teeth 18,19, 20) are bleeding when I floss, and when I put pressure on them with my finger. There is also a slight pain as well. Is this normal? Or is this an infection of some sort?
The areas in front of the wisdom tooth should not be bleeding due to the extraction.  The bleeding gums would indicate gingivitis or periodontal disease.  Are you sure that it may not be just blood coming from the extraction socket?  Perhaps flossing between where #17 and #18 meet can be the source of the problem.

Its probably not an infection from the wisdom tooth but gingivitis or periodontal disease is essentially a low grade infection that should be treated with a cleaning.  You may want to bring up the bleeding issue with your regular dentist at your next regular checkup or schedule one soon if it has been awhile since your last checkup.  

Thanks Jerome, I've noticed the bleeding only really occurs between 18 and 19 when I floss and when I apply pressure with my finger to the gums. I had my teeth cleaned about 3 weeks ago - 2 weeks prior to going thru the extraction.

I'll be going back to the dentist Monday AM.

I appreciate the quick response.
That sounds good.  Hope everything turns out well.