Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding after Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bleeding after Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Hi, I had my two lower wisdom teeth extracted on Monday Jan 5, it is now Monday Jan 12 and I am still in pain, particularly my left side, there is still about a quart size amount of swelling and a liquid discharge which I think is blood but it doesnt look like blood.  Is this normal?  I have been takin the antibiotics and pain killers but dont feel like I am getting any better.  They were impacted and the right one had already broken through the gums which is why I dont think it is going through as much trauma.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You may want to return to your dentist for a followup check.  You may need to switch the antibiotics.  It seems like a possibility that you may have an infection and that the antibiotics aren't working as well as they should.  The discharge may be some pus.  Does it taste/smell bad?  Try to rinse the area out gently and keep the area clean as well.
Thank you soo much for your response not for the other stuff Yes!  It taste horrible and smells horrible and I thought it was blood so I havent spit, I have been doing the rinse with salt and water and a prescribed solution as well.  It smells horrible too.  I called and told the dentist this and they said the pain is normal because you just had surgery.  I have three more antibiotic pills to go, it is the penicillin v potassium.  Would the infection clear once I finish or over time or do i definately have to go back?  There is also the slight bump still there and swelling.  Would there be a possibility of me needing some sort of draining.  
You probably don't need to drain it unless it swells up more.  The antibiotics are almost finished and it should have kept any infection in check while your body removed what problems there are.  

I would be patient and monitor the situation more closely and as long as there's gradual improvement, I would leave well enough alone.  

The swelling may be due to trauma as well so that may just need time to resolve on its own.

Keep up your hygiene and mother nature should take care of the rest.  Call your dentist if you need more pain medication though.