Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding gums after filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bleeding gums after filling

About three months ago I went in for a filling on one of my molars. It was the first time I ever had to have a filling that extended into the interproximal space. Anyway, after I've had that filling, every time I floss that space my gums bleed. I know it only started after the filling because I floss every day and they never bled before then. Now they bleed every time I floss.

Is this something to be worried about? I've gone in several times for adjustments to the filling, but it hasn't stopped. What could possibly be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The possibility is there is an open contact between the teeth that would cause the inflammation. If you can floss between the teeth without any resistance then the contact is open and that has to be corrected. It is not correct for the bleeding to occur.