Dental Health Community
Bleeding/hairy tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Bleeding/hairy tongue

So, I have this "hairy" tongue of sorts (white fuzz on top), and I look it up, and apparently it's harmless and I should just clean it. Also though, at the very back of the tongue, is these little red pimple-like things (round). So i take a brush, I brush the stuff off, it goes away. Next day though, it's always back. The concentration also seems higher at the back, where the little red things are. A few minutes ago, as I was brushing the stuff off (and gagging a little while I was at it), those things at the back of my tongue started bleeding. They stopped quickly, it was almost as if one of them had "popped" and had blood in it. Anyone have any idea what all of this is about?

Thanks in advance,
Al
Sounds like a clasic yeast infection or Candidas.  I'd call your Md or dentist.  I always get one following antibiotics or dental procedures.  My docs give me one Diflucan pill and they clear up in one or 2 days.
it's not yeast.  I have the same thing as you.  I thought it was yeast at first, because my daughter had it, but yeast cannot be scraped off.  I got hairy tongue when I followed the directions of the person who pierced my tongue.  He said to rinse with listerine after eating, drinking, smoking,..... And I did.  When my tongue started getting white, I thought it was just being dried out from the Listerine, then I thought infection, so I went to my dentist. Hairy Tongue, YUCK! it *****, I dont even feel comfortable kissing my husband, unless I just scraped it off.  I cringe just writing about it.  I'd like to sue the pants off of that piercer, but I dont have any kind of proof anymore, my lovely husband threw away the "after care" paper.  My GP tells me it may never go away.  If you hear anything to fix it, please post.
p.s. some of mine started bleeding today too :(
It appears to be circumvalate papilla. Please review anatomy of tongue.
Hey, me again. Yeah, stuff's still there :(

I don't have the horrid taste in my mouth as bad as before, but the white stuff/pimple thingies are still there. I was actually, now that I think about it, on antibiotics for like 2 weeks before this started... I don't know, I hope it's something silly the antibiotics started cause I did read a lot about them causing hairy tongue.

PS (to Phay): lmao I remember getting my tongue pierced in 2003. First 2 days were so crappy, could only eat soup xD. Though I'm surprised your dude said to use Listerine, cause the guy that did mine told me to have NOTHING containing alcohol what-so-ever.

Guess I best get off my lazy nerd *** and get myself to my dentist. I'll reply back and relay what he says when I get this done. Thx for all your replied guys.
i had just got my tounge pierced 8 days ago today and i starteed getting the hairy tounge (white stuff) right away and it hasent gone away since...do u think i should just wait a while and see if it gose away or should i go get somthing done about it right away or the worst opion..to take out my tounge periceing

feedback anyone??