Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding on tooth with root canal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bleeding on tooth with root canal

About 3-years ago, a dentist performed a root canal on one of my tooth (a total surprise for me).  Now I am experience bleeding around that root canal tooth, just that area.  Is my bleeding a cause of the root canal not done properly, or I am getting gum disease?  Hope somoeone can help.  Thanks.
Not likely but it is a possibility if there is an infection going on.  Most likely its gingivitis or periodontal disease which is due to tartar/plaque build up.  When was your last dental visit and cleaning/check up?
I had a cleaning in September, and I pointed that out to the dentist, (not the same one that did the root canal), but he didn't really give me much of an answer, and said maybe after the cleaning it would go away..but it hasn't, if anything it has gotten worse.  The root canal tooth is the premolar tooth, blood is coming out between the premolar and molar tooth only,not from my other teeth.  At the time, I didn't think too much about the root canal treatment, but I believe that dentist did need to do the root canal, I believe he was being unethical in his practice.    
Generally a failed root canal treatment would show up on an x-ray if there was an infection.  It wouldn't normally cause bleeding from the gums between teeth.  It would usually swell up due to pus building up and sometimes will result in a "pimple" that'll show up on the gums where it may drain out.  Sometimes it can bleed if you poke at it.  I would go back to your dentist and let him know the bleeding hasn't improved and worsen and that the cleaning didn't help.  There may be something going on in the gum area though.  
Thanks for commenting back. I made a mistake on my previous comment, I mean to say that I don't think the dentist needed to do the root canal, he just did it because he was being unethnical.  I was seeing him for 8 years or so, and the guy never pointed out that I had a grinding issue, so my molar teeth are very much flat.  Being a dentist yourself, do you think a patient can overcome grinding without a nightguard, as I don't really like to wear it.  Thanks again.    
Its possible to not grind at night although I'm not much of an expert in management of grinding.  I usually prescribe a nightguard as well to prevent further wear on the teeth.  You may want to see a dentist who has more advanced training in that particular area because there may be a behavioral component to your grinding habit such as stress relief, etc.

As for the root canal, I can't really comment on it as I wasn't able to diagnose the situation.  Its possible it may not have been needed but I'm sure if you have any concerns, you can always discuss it with your dentist and an explanation can be given to you.  Hope that helps.